Twenty: I Adore You

A/n: I hope you also try my two stories, On My Own and Change of Heart.

...

In Seto's living room, Kousei was trying to practice the next musical piece he's about to perform in the second round of the competition, but his mind was preoccupied with something else. Seto Hiroko noticed that resulting in her flicking a fan towards his head when he missed a key on the piano. Kousei was shocked by what she did and so, he rubbed his hands over his head. 

"Mom...," she spoke up.

"Your head's far away. You're distracted. What were you thinking anyway?" she asked her.

Kousei went beetle-red after he knew that his adopted mother noticed that he's actually thinking about something else than him, playing the piano. He finally told her, "Sorry mom. We can repeat again, right?"

Seto Hiroko smiled at him. "Of course. Both of you are going to play 'Waltz' in the competition. This time around, if you did play the bass in Aiza Nagi's music festival when you were in your third year of middle school, you're the main music here! Focus, Kousei!"

Kousei began putting his hands on the piano keys once again when Hiroko heard Mikoto chuckling behind them that made her look at him while he's holding Koharu in his arms. The two of them are sitting on the brown couch in front of them. 

"What are you laughing about, Mikoto?" she asked him.

"Kousei could have been thinking about Emi Igawa, mom," he told her. 

With that, Kousei froze and stop playing the piano. 

He looked at the two of them and spoke up, "Onii-san!!! That's embarrassing!" 

Hiroko and Mikoto laughed at the same time that made Kousei truly feel embarrassed. 

He's so in love with Emi right now and he doesn't know what he will say when he goes to his school the next day. "How do I ask her if we are truly an official couple? How do I know she likes me, too?" he asked him. 

Seto Hiroko grinned at his adopted son. "Why don't you give her flowers tomorrow?"

Mikoto nodded. "I think that is a good idea. Ask her if she really wants to date you. Erase your shyness for a while and let yourself out there, okay? I am sure that you weren't like that with a certain girl in your past, right?"

Kousei looked down and stared at his fingers after he clasped it together. "I was actually like that before, onii-san. I thought I was Friend A. I didn't know that she likes me and not my friend. I should have known about it earlier."

Mikoto pitied his younger brother and so, he spoke up, "It's the past, Kousei."

"I promised that I won't forget her. I like Emi so much but is it really okay that I ask her to be my first girlfriend? I don't have experience with getting one, yet!" he said to them. 

His adopted mother smiled, "I am sure that Kaori won't want you to keep that pain, Kousei."

Kousei only kept listening to her while Mikoto began to take Koharu in her room. 

Seto Hiroko took his attention. She told him with a big smile, "It's okay to move on, Kousei."

"Is it okay to hit reset?" he asked her.

Hiroko nodded. "Just like your mother, I am sure that Kaori has already made a lot of change in you. It's time to mold your own path. I am sure that Kaori and your mom won't be bitter about you turning around a different girl."

After she said that, he remembered Tsubaki's sad expression after he and Emi were ranked first in his school in the first round of the competition of dual pianists. "What about Tsubaki? I remember that Kaori informed me in her letter that she likes me. I feel guilty that I can't even like her more than a high maintenance sister," he asked her.