Chapter 9 -- Sweet like candy

Chapter 9

“Hold on a sec.” I raised one finger up and hopped out of Jason’s car and jogged up the steps to my house.

As soon as I entered the house I shoved my keys into my pockets, “Mom! I’m home!” I yelled. I heard no response, I sighed and climbed up the stairs.

“Mom?”

“I’m in my office hun.” I heard her from down the hall. I opened her door and all I saw was white. Papers were scattered around her desk, some were falling to the floor. The trash bin in the corner of her room was overflowing with crumpled papers.

“What? Did a hurricane pass by?” I joked, picking up some of the papers.

“Sort of.” She chuckled, “I just got a new assistant since my last one quit. There was a problem at the office and training her just added to my plate.”

“Well, how is her attitude?”

“She was pleasant. She was patient and didn’t quit when I was pouring all my rage onto her.” She smiled at me and gestured for me to sit down, “What do you need?”

I raised an eyebrow, “How’d you know?” my fingers started tapping rhythmically on her wooden desk.

“I’m your mom.” She sighed, “And besides, you wouldn’t bother to go in here if you didn’t need anything. So, what is it?”

“I’m going to the mall with--,” I was cut off with a glare. Whoa, mood change much.

“No.”

“You didn’t even know who I was going with.”

“Jason.” She pointed to her open window where Jason could be seen leaning on his car, whistling.

“Why can’t I go?”

“You need to learn how to follow me Anna. You can’t always get your way.”

“But mom!” I whined, “We’re going to build a bear!”

“You’re not a little kid anymore Anna. I know that, but this is for your own good. You can just invite him over, I’ll even order pizza for you guys.”

I bit my lip, tempting, very tempting, but I wasn’t giving up. 

“Mom, please! Just today?”

“No Anna. That’s final.” 

I grumbled angrily and stomped to the window, “JASON! GET IN HERE!” I saw Jason jump and trip on his feet, startled by my yell. I laughed, it was a picture worthy moment but I left my bag in his car.

“OH! AND BRING MY BAG WILL YA?” Jason glared up at me and I smiled at him, he was never a fan of my yelling. He said it could break windows, and it could definitely break his eardrums.

“Pizza?” I asked my mom. She just sighed, grabbed her phone and dialed the number of the pizza place. I fist pumped and trotted out of the room. Oh well, I can go to build a bear some other time.

I headed straight to my room, knowing that Jason would go straight there. My hand twisted the doorknob and upon opening the door I found him staring at my empty blue wall.

“Where are the pictures that used to be here?”

“I took them down and repainted the wall.”

“Why?”

“Painful memories.” I shrugged jumping on my bed and snuggling into my pillow. Now that I think about it, I’m exhausted.

“What movie do you want to watch?” I asked. My voice muffled by the pillow I was currently hugging,