Chapter 1. Need The Sun To Break

I came home from school after a long and exhausting day. Without greeting my parents and sister, i ran passed them straight up to my room. They didn't care about me anyways, so i might as well stay out of their way.

I put my headphones on and pressed shuffle
Stealing Cars by James Bay filled my ears. I pulled out my biology book and began to study.

The first time i've heard Stealing Cars was on a tv show. It mesmerized me completely, so i shazamed it, and searched up the artist. Pictures of a handsome man with long brown locks, sharp cheekbones, and a hat appeared. He reminded me of a young Johnny Depp.

I found out he had released his debut album: Chaos And The Calm. I instantly downloaded it and from that day on, i'm still obsessed.

Suddenly my door opened and my sister Chelsea walked in. "Are you still not over that Bay sucker?" She asked arrogantly.

"Are you still so immature to not get over Justin Bieber" i fired back. (A/n no hate to Beliebers)

Chelsea just rolled her eyes. "Whatever,loser" she said and walked away.

I was about to put my headphones back on when this time my mother had to go and bother me.

"Stop bothering your sister, Valerie! she has enough stress as it is because her finals are coming up and i don't want you to do or say anything that distresses her more, got it?"

I made the mistake of protesting. "I didn't do anything! She bothered ME."

My mom slapped me. Hard. "Listen up, you brat! I don't want to hear any excuses or false accusations, you got that?! You could show more support to your sister."

"Yeah, well, you could show more support to me" i mumbled."

"WHAT did you say, young lady?" My mom growled.

"Nothing, never mind." I said looking down to the floor.

"That's what i thought. Now, go downstairs and set the table." My mom said. I sighed and went downstairs and prepared the table.

"Hurry up, your father will be here any minute." Mom hissed. I did as requested and then i heard my father walk in.

"Wow, it's smells great in here! Hi darling!" He said as he kissed my mom. Then he kissed Chelsea on the cheek, and ignored me completely.

"So Chels, how's studying going?" My dad asked Chelsea.
"Yeah, im doing really great, this stuff is waaay to easy, like, i will pass this whole thing with ease!" She bragged.

My dad smiled proudly. "My pride and joy, at least we have one bright child in the family."

Gee, thanks dad.

He looked at me looking sternly. "And what have you been up to today?" I was about to answer when my mom beat me up to it.
"Being lazy as usual, and annoying her sister."

I've had enough. "I didn't annoy her, she came into MY room"

"I just wanted to ask if you needed help with your homework! And then you insulted my taste in music." Chelsea yelled.

"After you insulted mine!" I yelled back. My dad stood up. "Valerie, enough! I've had enough of your nonsense and lies. Go to your room." "Fine, i mumbled" i took my plate and started to make my way out when Chelsea stuck out her foot and made me trip, causing the plate to break and food covering the floor.

"You clumsy girl! Clean that up right now and get out of our sights! And no, you won't be getting a new portion!" I noticed my sister smiling evily at me while i cleaned the mess. When they got to the dessert, i looked at them and i don't know where i got the nerve from but i said: "i hope you'll all choke in that." and walked away.

i suffered the concequences. My dad punched me in the face and my stomach. "you will learn to respect us." he told me and left me sobbing on my bed.

I awoke early the next day to a sharp slap on my cheek. "Get your lazy ass out of bed and into the kitchen." Such a loving mother.

I took a quick shower and got dressed in some skinny jeans and a blouse with plaids.  Then i went to the kitchen and started to make breakfast. 

"Hurry up, i have to be at school in 20 minutes." Chelsea said snapping her fingers.  

"I am not your bloody servent." I growled. She just laughed. "No, you aren't and you certainly won't make a good one. Because a servant won't make a customer wait, you're just the houseslave. Now, hurry. The. Fuck. Up." She glared at me. I glared back.

"Valerie, don't start this again please, don't make me do what i did last night!" My dad sighed. 

I rolled my eyes but didn't give a response. I finished with the bacon which was a little burned but still edible, and the scrambled eggs. I slid them on a plate and placed it in front of Chelsea.

"Ewww, oh my god Valerie, you burnt my bacon! What the actual fuck!"

My mom quickly came in. "Honey what's wrong?"  Chelsea pointed her finger at me. "This bitch tried to poison me with burned bacon! She did this on purpose mommy!" 

Mom shushed her. "Shh baby, i'll take care of this." Chelsea grinned at me.

A hand made sharp contact with my face. My eyes teared up. My mom would slap me occasionally, but never this hard.  "You worthless child! Get out of my sight, now!" She yelled the last part and i quickly ran away. 

I collected my books together, placed them in my schoolbag and made my way to the busstation. I put on my headphones and played  Best Fake Smile on to cheer me up.  5 minutes later i arrived at school where my best friend Jesy was waiting for me.

Once i saw her, a smile grew on my face and i ran over to her, hugging her tight. Jesy was such a cool chick. She had dark purple hair, her make up very dark but still flawless and she always wears awesome clothes. Today she wore a ACDC crop top with a leather jacket and tight black jeans with holes in it and combat boots.

"Hey girl! How you do... OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE?!" She whispered screamed.

"Shh Jes." I said, noticing people staring at us. "It's fine. I'm fine.

"Babe, you do NOT look fine. Your dad did this?" She asked.

I didn't say anything, just stared at my feet, which she took as a yes.

"Val, seriously, this is abuse. Go to the fucking police, report the motherfucker!"

"I don't have any proof, and the police always takes abuse lightly."

"That bruise on your face is proof enough!" Jesy argues. 
"Anyways, it doesn't matter, i just have to live with it."
"But.." Jesy starts. "Please, just leave it Jes!" I begged. She sighed. "I don't agree with it but fine. Then her face lits up.

"I have some great news for you. Turns out your "bay" is in town this week to sign his album."

My eyes grew wide. James was coming to Leeds? What??!!   "A-are you sure?" I asked. Jesy looked at me sassily with her hands on her hips.

"Seriously V, as your best friend, have i ever lied to you?" I shook my head. "And do you honestly think that i would lie about this? That i would crush your hopes on meeting your idol?" I shook my head.  "Then yes, i am sure." She grabbed het phone and handed it to me.

Holy shit. She was right, James was coming to Leeds. Today. Wait what?! I checked the date again.

"Shit the signing is today at 14:30 school end at 16:00"

"Yes, and that is why we gotta hurry."
I glanced at her. "Are you saying that we should skip school for the rest of the day?"

Jesy nodded and smiled. "yeah, why the hell not?"

"I don't know Jes, my parents..." "Won't find out about this i promise! Would you really let this opportunity go? V, he's your hero!"
That shut up the voices in my head that i should not do it.

"Yeah, you're right, let's do this." I grinned. Jesy smiled. "That's my girl." She grabbed my hand as she dragged me out of the school.