Chapter 4:Estel

By the time I was led out of the forest, the sun was blazing down on my fair skin, giving me warmth as a walking along the dirt path. It was early morning, dew still on the grass, giving the land a sweet smell, and the birds flying overhead were chirping. I could see the castle town coming into view, as the castle was towering everything in the vicinity, like a dragon does before it eats it's prey.

No brush or blade of dewed filled grass tried to stopped me, so as i step foot into the human castle town, I bid a great thanks to Lorella. Since i walked through to wet grass, and fields I have dirt and wheat seeds falling off my boots in my wake. No matter how hard i tried to get used to the smog filled streets, i couldn't as i missed my green forests, and the chirps of the birds. Just the peacefulness of being with people who loved one another. Every corner i turned, I couldn't help but to compared this place to the golden beauty Lorella. This place was just straight up hideous.

I walked around the town until i found the open gate with men or all different builds walking into type castle. Following them into the garden, with an already big crowd of men. As the rest of the men poured into the throne room, i looked around i found guards stationed in every corner of the room, and in the crowd too. No had noticed the female walk onto the balcony with a piece of parchment in her hand. It wasn't until the trumpets were sounded that the garden went silent. Every man, and woman looked up at the balcony, where the beautiful golden beauty stood. She was wearing a lovely cerulean blue diamond encrusted dress, in the sun, she looked like a goddess sent from above.

She cleared her voice and her velvety voice rung strong. That was when I remember. She was my tohernoxk (love). From so long ago when i was a young elf of nine, someone who didn't know he was playing with, had a lonely princess with problems at home, but in reality it was a castle problem.

I was sitting in the tree, listening to the chirps of birds singing as they lightly danced across the lake when I heard a twig snap underneath me.

I glanced down and saw a little girl with golden hair walk towards the lake, with a grim expression on her face. She was carrying a ragged doll in one of her hands that were at her side.

As she walked by one bush, it snagged the doll from her. As she wasn't paying attention, she walked onward. When she got to the lake, she lifted the hand that had the doll in it, over the lake to throw it in, when she started to cry as the doll wasn't there.

I leaped out of the tree and grabbed the doll, then set in the hands of the girl. She stopped crying, as feeling the warmth of the doll, and looked up at me. She had a small smile on her face and had happiness shining in her eyes. Those eyes were the most beautiful things i have ever seen. The mix of blue and green surrounded by golden rings. Her face was that of i toddler, most likely also nine.

"Thank you, big brother." She said, "I'm Alexia."

"My name is Estel," I said.

She nodded then turned and threw the doll in the lake.

"why did you do that Alexia?" I asked panicking.

"I've had that doll for many years, it was a gift from my father. As you saw by its ragged form, it had seen better days, but my parents being the way they are wont get me a new one. So i thought, that if i cried about losing it, they would get me a new one." She said smiling, a weak smile.

I nodded, knowing that poor humans were careful when it come to spending money. Getting the idea that Alexia shouldn't have to beg for something that she won't get, i stand up, with her looking at me weird.

"Wait here," I said to her, then I went back into to the tree i was in. I took some leaves and twigs from the tree and made a little doll from it, then i took a handful of clay from the edge of the lake and gave it a head. I also pressed two blue stones into the head to make eyes, and a small handful of soft golden grass to make it's hair. I handed the doll to Alexia.

"Thank you Estel. It looks just like me. No one has ever done this for me. I'll treasure it forever!" She screamed in delight, grappling onto me. After that day she came almost everyday, holding on to that doll with a giant smile on her face, until one day three years later she stopped coming altogether.

In all those years, i never thought Alexia would be a princess, i thought she was just a poor farmer's daughter, now i know that she is the king's daughter.

"... that is the truth. I will be going on a quest to retrieve the sword. If you are willing to go with me please come to the great hall at noon," saying this, Alexia turns and disappears into the castle. The crowd starts to disperse and I follow, going into the village. I pass the inn and the drunkards who surround it. They call out to me but i just continue to walk, not wanting to waste my time here. They didn't like that, so they blocked my path, snickering like toddlers. They all reeked of ale and their beards were all tangled.

"Hey elf boy, i was talking to you." One of the drunkards said, spitting in my face. I wiped the spit off my face, glare up at him, and push past him. As i walked off, i sensed something coming towards me, so I turned and saw the drunkard with a club in his hand. He growled and swung it clumsily, and i dodged it. I elbow him in the nose, not enough to break it, but to bruise and distract him. I then run past him and into the market. I look around for a while, looking at the goods for sale, then i glance up at the sun. It is high in the sky so i walk back to the castle.

Walking through the halls of the castle to the Great Hall, i look over the tapestries covering the walls of the castle. It was all so disgusting, they had dressed them in the vibrant color that of a peacock. The princess sits apron a small throne in front of the room. She doesn't say anything as she examines everybody walking into the room, so i take the chance to look around also. Near me, stands a man who look about a year or so older than me.

He has short, spiky, red hair and a slight hooked nose, with a purple-black robe. His face was that of a man who had suffered his whole life. A life where he was told what to do no matter how awful it was. As he looked up at the princess, a single tear streamed down his face. Out of instinct i went to console him, but he flinches away from me. I don't know why. Then the crowd shifts and he disappears from sight.

Then the princess's voice rings through the room, clear and high, cutting through all the noise of the men. " thank you all for coming. As i said before, the great sword of Elain has been stolen. Four of you will be selected to go with me on a quest to retrieve it. It will be difficult and only the best will survive.

"My family will give you all a series of tests. Some will be endurance, some will see how well you could survive on your own. If this is too much for you, please leave now. I will think nothing less of you." Alexia says

A handful of people leave, while others nervously eyes the door. Then she continues, "The test will begin tomorrow morning."