Chapter 5: Ray

It has been four years since my apprenticeship with the shadowmage, Audrey, ended, ten years since my uncle conscripted me into the dark forces, and eleven years since my parents were killed by elves.

My life has been living hell. When I realized how evil Audrey and my uncle were I began going to the chapel daily, begging the goddess for forgiveness. I have been searching for a way to redeem myself to let the world see that I am not as evil as they think I am.

I am in the chapel, praying for the umptenth time the month when i hear in the distance trumpets blaring for what seemed to be the castle. Maybe the goddess has finally answered my prayers. I run through the cluster of priest, scattering them. Ignoring their complaints, as I ran through the town, slowing down as I see a crowd. I realized that i had ran from the chapel in the heart of the town, through the open gates of the castle, to the garden.

"The great sword of Elain has been stolen," she says, and the crowd gasps. "Yes, yes, I know. It surprised me as well. You may think that i am lying but I swear upon the goddess that it is the truth. I will be going on a quest to retrieve the sword. If you are willing to go with me then please come to the great hall at noon." Then she turns and disappears into the castle.

Since I was in the back, I was one of the first to leave, heading back to the chapel. I walk past the bench where I usually sit, a dark, dreary spot in the back of the church, and kneel down in the front of the church. Lights shines through the stained glass, covering me in a rainbow of light. I pray to the goddess, thanking her for giving me a second chance. I stay there for about an hour, then I get up.

I take the light and weave it into a shining rose. It won't last long, it is just light, but seeing it eases my heart. It has been so long since

I used my magic for more than destruction.

I leave it on the altar and then go back to the castle. The guards at the gate let me into the castle and I walk in slowly. The floor is golden and beautiful tapestries cover the wall. They depict heroic victories and tells the story of the goddess. The hall has already begun to fill with people. I move forwards to the front of the room, so I can see the princess better.

Then I stop. Memories flash before my eyes. I see my house burning down, the air filled my sister's dying screams.

I hear my mother begging the elves to stop as they cut her down with my father's sword. And my father's bleeding body, as he was already dead.

I remember years of lessons. Lessons on necromancy and pain. Then tes test. I had to kill a man. Kill him and reanimate corpse. I had to or they would kill me. I had not choice.

I remember a feast to celebrate the end of my apprenticeship. I remember vomiting all night. I had killed a man when I was only thirteen.

I remember leaving Audrey and my uncle to come here. I remember how I was thinking of killing myself.

I remember that fateful day when I was praying on what I thought would be my final prayer and she came in.

She was surrounded by guards and had a circlet of gold crowned her forehead. I knew she was the princess.

She was walking into the church, slowly as if she was looking around at the beautiful walls and windows of the chapel. That was when she saw me. I saw a small smile creep on her face before she bounded towards me. She looked like an Angel sent from above, her golden hair flowing as she came towards me, giving me hope.

The princess held a small wooden doll in her hands, it's straw (grass?) hair was falling out and it's leafy gown was browned and dry. I took it from her and cast my hand over it. The doll looked new again. She smiled even bigger at me and went to pray.

Once she left I went to the priestess and changed my name. A new name, a new life is what I thought. My name had always been Orville, a name that carried too many memories. So I changed it to Ray, in honor of the princess who gave me a ray of hope.

Then I'm back to the present, where I see someone reaching out to me. He is tall with straight blonde hair, up in a ponytail. His thick face is earnest with the look of someone untested. I then realized i was crying. I was about to accept his outstretched hand when his hair parted, and revealed thin, pointed ears. I flinch away from him and see a look of confusion on his face. Then the crowd shifts, blocking him from view.

Finally princess Alexia begins to speak, "Thank you all for coming. As i had said, the great sword Elain has been stolen. Four of you will be selected to go with me on a quest to retrieve it. It will be difficult and only the best will survive.

"My family will give you all a series of tests. Some will be duels, some will test your endurance, and some will see how well you will survive. If this is too much for you, leave now, I will think nothing less of you."

A few people leave, while many others nervously eye the door. Once they were gone the princess continues, "The tests will begin tomorrow morning. You all are dismissed," before she walks away throw the draping curtains. Once she is out of sight, people start to leave the room by the dozen. Not wanting to be trampled, I rushed out of the room, and the castle. Passing people, and bumping into some, I took main and side cobbled streets until I made it back to the church, to pray a word of thanks to the goddess above for giving me a second chance of redemption.