four

"I just want to know what your problem is with her." Dustin said insistently.

"Fuck off, alright?" Mike said angrily, keeping his fast pace of speed to try to get away from Dustin.

"No!" Dustin said, catching Mike by the arm. "Why do you hate her so much?"

Mike whirled angrily around to face him. They had split up from the rest of the group, Steve, Lucas, Will, and Eleven wandering around somewhere and Max had been put into Mike's group.

Unfortunately.

Now, they hadn't seen Max for awhile and Dustin was using her temporary absence to corner Mike.

"I hate her so much because she's a complete and total bitch!" Mike retorted, crossing his arms. "She doesn't belong in our party and she sure as hell doesn't belong in Hawkins! She basically ripped our whole friend group apart last year, and now she's just bitchy all the time!"

Dustin narrowed his eyebrows. "Actually, I think you're thinking of yourself. She told me you lied about El-"

Mike snorted. "Of course she did. Now she's lying to you too, Dustin! God, why the fuck are you all so blind? Am I the only one who gives a damn about our friendship anymore? Because it sure as hell seems like it!"

"I can't believe you're actually saying that!"

Mike glared at him. "Yeah, well believe it! Just kick her out, goddamn it!"

"Guys?"

They both glanced up, and Mike clenched his hands tightly into fists.

Max was standing there staring at the two of them, her hands on her hips.

"What the hell do you want, Mayfield? This is a private conversation." Mike snapped.

"Funny, because I could hear you from all the way over there!" Max contributed, smiling sweetly at him and Mike shot a dark look at Dustin.

"I'm serious, Dustin. Are you going to kick her out?" He asked, and Dustin looked between the two of them, dumbfounded.

"What?" He sputtered. "No, of course not! Mike, are you even hearing yourself?"

Mike shook his head, laughing slightly, and he wrapped his knapsack more tightly around his shoulders.

"Then I'm gone." He said simply, and Max stared at him, and then Dustin, who seemed as shocked as she was.

"No, Mike- come on-" Max tried to say, and his eyes snapped on hers.

"Don't try to fucking talk to me! God, you're such a-"

"I'm such a what!?" Max said shrilly, her eyes blazing. "Because I'm thinking of a thousand different names to call you right now, so you shouldn't be talking, Wheeler."

He took a few steps towards her and leaned in close to her face, his teeth gritted. "I told you stay out of our party, Mayfield! And you couldn't even do that!"

"What is wrong with you!?" She exclaimed. "Why do you hate me so much!?"

Mike rolled his eyes and didn't answer her, turning and beginning to walk away from them, his shoes crunching on the leaves.

"Mike!" Max said angrily, and then stormed after him. "MIKE!"

She grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to face her, her face contorted. "Why do you hate me!?"

Mike started to turn away again but Max shook him by the shoulders. "What the fuck did I even do to you!? Why do you hate me, Wheeler, say it! Say it!"

"BECAUSE I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU!" Mike shouted, and a deadly silence fills the air as Mike realized what he'd just said.

Max stares at him, completely taken aback. "What?"

He jerked free from her and grips the straps of his knapsack tighter, his face hardening into a mask. "Nothing."

He turned to Dustin, his voice sharp. "I don't want any of you talking to me, so fuck off. I'm done."

And with those words, Mike turned on his heel and stormed angrily back in the direction that they had come, leaving chaos in his wake.

jesus christ this is so freaking short and i'm really sorry but i didn't have any inspiration for this one! and now here we are, inspo!! vote and comment for me!