five

"What the hell just happened?" Dustin asked Max, who was staring at the ground in complete and total shock.

Because I'm in love with you!

The words rang over and over in her mind, and she gave a slight jerk of her head.

"I-I have no idea." She mumbled, and then slowly raised to meet his eyes, which were wide.

"What are we going to do?" She continued, twisting her hands together. "Should we tell-"

But Dustin was already shaking his head, and Max abruptly stopped. "Why not?"

He sighed, and then answered, "Mike would. . .well, I don't know exactly what he would do, but it wouldn't be pretty."

"But if he. . ." She paused, and then said slowly, "Loves me, why would he be upset?"

Dustin rubbed his eyes. "I don't know. And neither does El. We had our suspicions that he liked you, but we had no idea- anyway, I think he just likes you so much that he convinces himself he has to hate you. I mean, for him it had always been El. And then they broke up, because even though El didn't say anything, it was clear he liked you."

Max was staring at him. "And you all didn't think to, oh, I don't know, tell me this?"

Dustin shrugged. "It wasn't our place to tell. And it still isn't. You guys are going to have to figure this out for yourselves."

He motioned towards the path. "Come on. Let's go find Steve, and convince him to take us back. I'm starving."

She grudgingly followed him back into the woods, not at all wanting to think about Mike and his reaction when he saw her at school the next day.

-

Max hesitantly stepped into Mr. Clarke's room the next day, her eyes casting around for a certain boy with dark, jet black hair.

Her gaze came to rest on him, and she began to walk towards him when Mike said in a razor sharp voice, not even looking up, "I hope you're not thinking about coming over here, Mayfield."

She stopped dead, and then hurriedly moved past him to her own seat, biting her lip as she looked at the back of his head.

The rest of the class filed in, and Lucas said, "Hey, Mike. Where were you before school?"

Max saw Mike angrily slam his notebook close and glance up at Lucas, his eyes narrowed into slits.

"Nowhere near you. I don't know if Dustin told you or not, but I left your stupid party and I want nothing to do with any of you- especially that bitch over there."

Lucas's gaze flicked to Max and back, and he looked stunned at what Mike was saying.

Max angrily brushed her hair away from her face as Lucas said, "Mike, you can't just-"

"Yeah, I can! So screw off, alright? I don't want to talk to any of you!"

They both were silent for a second, glaring at each other, before Lucas finally backed off and went to his seat, Will and Dustin following behind him.

As class finished for the period and the bell rang, Mike was the first one out the door and Max made up her mind to go after him. After all, how could they not talk about this?

She followed him, saying, "Mike!"

He didn't turn around, and his walk increased in speed as Max tried to catch up to him.

"Hey, Max," A drawling voice made her stop as a hand closed around her arm.

Max looked up and saw it was Troy, a sleazy, arrogant bully who mostly acted like he owned everything when in reality, all he owned was an enormous ego.

"Troy." She said curtly. "Get your hand off my arm before I break it."

He didn't release her, a smirk twisting his features. "Why? You know you like it, Maxine."

She looked around and saw the hallway they were in was practically deserted, besides a few other people at the end and Michael Wheeler, who she saw had stopped dead.

"No, I don't so get off of me!" She tried to twist her arm free, but Troy didn't let go, his smirk becoming wider as he watched her struggle.

"Hey!"

Max looked up, panic in her eyes as Mike strode towards them, a hard blazing look on his face.

"She said get off of her, Troy." He growled, and Troy sneered, "What are you going to do about it, Wheeler?"

Mike glared at him, and then said dangerously, "Get the fuck off of her before I punch you in your goddamn face."

Troy pressed his lips angrily together, and then let go of Max, who jerked away; taking a few backwards steps towards Mike who immediately slipped an arm around her.

"Fine. You all can be freaks together." He snapped, and then stormed off, making Max breathe a sigh of relief.

"Thanks, Wheeler." She mumbled, and she felt his arm tighten on her waist, still staring angrily after Troy.

"Yeah, no problem, Max."

She started, looking at him, and he looked down at her. "What?"

"You- you called me Max." She said, and then a hot blush rose to her cheeks as she realized his arm was still around her.

Mike seemed to realize it too, and stepped away, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, I guess. . .I guess I did."

They stared at each for a couple of seconds before Mike said, "I'd better go."

"Thank you. Again." Max said earnestly, hoping now they could be friends. . .or something.

He opened his mouth to say something, and then closed it, turning away from her and mumbling, "Yeah. Whatever."

Her face fell as Mike headed in the opposite direction, the warmth from his touch still on her side as she watched him go.

YES NEW UPDATE OMFG SO MANY OF YOU WANTED THIS SO I BETTER SEE A HELL OF A LOT OF COMMENTS AND VOTES OKAY? OKAY. bye i love you!!