ten

"It's 3 in the morning and she hasn't left his side." Lucas said sullenly, his arms crossed, and Dustin glanced at him.

They were in the Byers' kitchen, sitting around the kitchen table. Joyce and Hopper had left to get "supplies", Nancy was somewhere with Jonathan, and Steve was supposed to be babysitting them.

Instead, he was passed out in Will's room, who had said, "He's on top of my bed! I can't even lay down!"

El raised her head off of her arms, looking to where Lucas was staring.

Max was sitting by the couch, Mike's hand clutched tightly in her's, her eyes wide and staring down at him, having a glazed over look about them.

"So?" Dustin asked slowly, and Lucas snorted.

"So? She shouldn't be in there all the time!"

Dustin and El shared a look, and El said, "Um, Lucas? What's up?"

Lucas narrowed his eyes. "She should be in here with us- hanging. Not in there with-with him and. . .stuff. Jesus."

He folded his arms, and then as Dustin slowly opened his mouth to say something, Lucas pushed back his chair and headed into the living room.

Mike's face was a ghostly pale, sweat covering most of it, and was still shivering, his eyes staring up at nothing.

"Max." Lucas said shortly, looking down at the redhead, who didn't answer, still staring at Mike.

"Max!" Lucas snapped again, and her head jerked up.

"Oh!" She said, blinking at him. "Um, h-hi Lucas."

She looked back at Mike, sniffing ever so slightly, and Lucas resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Uh, do you want to come in there with us?"

Max shook her head. "No. I think. . .I think I should stay in here. Thanks anyway."

Lucas stared at her, and then said, "It's not going to kill you, you know, to leave him for five seconds."

Max slowly turned to face him, narrowing her eyebrows. "What?"

"Hey, Lucas-" Dustin started, but Lucas waved him away, answering Max, "Look, it's not a big deal. Just give yourself a break from him. It's not like you guys are in love or anything."

Max did a double take. "Excuse you? You don't really know anything about Mike and I so-"

"Max, he hates you!" Lucas cut across her. "We all know he hates you- he's hated you since day fucking one!"

Max's mouth dropped open, and Dustin strolled into the room, grabbing Lucas's shoulder. "Hey, Lucas, come on. That's enough."

"It's true, isn't it?" Lucas asked Max angrily, who stammered, "Not anymore- I mean, we- he told me-"

"What, some load of bullshit that he loves you?" Lucas asked. "Cause he doesn't. He never did, and he never-"

"Lucas!" El shouted from the next room, and Lucas shook Dustin off of him, glaring at Max, who felt like something cold had spread all down her body.

. . .He didn't really love her?

And then, there was a loud gasp, and Mike shot up from the couch, wheezing.

"Oh, fuck!" Dustin whispered, and then skidded out of the room and down the hall, screaming, "STEVE! Get your ass up- he's awake, he's awake!"

"Mike!" Max said, letting out a gasp, and reached for his hand.

Mike looked at her, and then jerked away as if she was on fire, narrowing his eyes into slits at her.

Max blinked slowly, and then looked up at him, her eyes meeting his. ". . .Mike?"

Before she could go further with the conversation though, Steve, Dustin, Lucas, Will, and El burst into the room, all in a group.

"Mike, buddy?" Steve asked hesitantly, and Mike's head jerked around to look at Steve, his eyes flicking to the left and right.

"Steve?" He asked slowly, and Steve nodded. "That's right dude. The babysitter."

Mike didn't answer, scanning the faces of everyone in the room. When he fell on Max's though, his face hardened.

"What the fuck is she doing here?" He snarled, and all eyes turned to Max, who's face contorted in bewilderment.

"Mike? It's me, it's Max. Remember? You just- you just kis-"

"Get out."

Mike's voice trembled with anger, and Max stopped mid-sentence, her voice dropping faintly. "W-what?"

"I want her out!" Mike said, and then waited a couple of seconds as the party all exchanged glances before shouting, "GET HER THE FUCK OUT! SHE'S GONNA FUCKING DESTROY EVERYTHING!"

Max stared at him, her eyes scanning his face and she took a step towards him before Steve grabbed her wrist.

"Hey, Max, I know you don't want too, but I really think you should leave the room." He said softly, and Max tried to jerk free.

"No, Mike's in there- Mike is in there!"

Steve gently pushed her out the door, and she caught Mike's gaze, which was burning with hate as he stared at her.

"Please- please let me see him!" Max cried desperately, and Steve shook his head.

"You have to stay away just for a bit, okay Max? Just for a little while. And then you can see him again. I promise."

Max swallowed hard before eyeing Mike; and choking down tears, she whispered, "Okay."

yay, new update! it's 2 am here and i'm exhausted but i wanted to get this up for you all before i go to sleep. sorry for the long update, school's been reallyyy busy! but i'll hopefully be updating a lot more this week, so yay! vote and comment your thoughts on this for me, see you next episode!