twelve

Max shakily sat herself on the hard-backed wooden chair across from Michael Wheeler, who tried to jerk out of the ropes tying him in place.

"What the fuck?" He asked, looking down at his hands and then back up at Steve, who raised an eyebrow.

"There a problem, Romeo?"

"Uh, yeah!" Mike said. "Why am I tied up, Steve?"

Steve shrugged, making his eyes grow wide. "I have no idea."

Max rolled her eyes. "You're a horrible actor."

"Hey!" Steve said sharply. "I'm the babysitter, you're the baby that sits. Shut up."

Max shook her head but looked up as El placed a hand on her shoulder and bent down so that she was eye level with Mike.

"Mike." She said, and Mike said, "El! Come on, help me! I'm your boyfriend!"

"Wow, this is so cringy." Steve muttered, and El shot him a glare before turning back to Mike.

"Uh, Mike? I'm not your girlfriend. I haven't been your girlfriend for about four months. I'm dating Will."

"WHAT!?" Steve screeched, his face lighting up in glee. "This is priceless!"

He turned and held up a hand for Will to high five. "Nice one, Byers."

Will slapped his hand, and El said, "Steve, I swear to God, I will use telekinesis to fly you into the Byers' shed if you don't shut up."

"Fine." Steve said sullenly, and Mike looked at El, bewildered.

"What do you mean you're not my girlfriend? I've been dating you since you closed the Gate. We went to the Snowball together!"

"No, Mike," El said gently, cupping his face in her hands before turning it slightly to meet Max's. "This is your girlfriend. This is the person you love."

Mike met Max's eyes, and she slowly nodded as something flickered just slightly in his gaze.

They stared at each other before Mike yanked his head out of El's hands, his face darkening. "I am not in love with Max Mayfield. I would really throw myself off that cliff before I did that."

Max's face crumpled, and Steve heaved a sigh, gently pushing her out of the way. "Alright, make way for the real love expert."

Dustin grinned. "If anyone can fix Mike, it's Steve."

They all stared at him, and his gaze flicked to the left and back again. "What?"

"Hey, buddy." Steve said to Mike, who said sharply, "I'm not your buddy."

"Okay." Steve said shortly. "Then you're my asshole. Whatever. You're being a little bitch right now, you know that Wheeler? We risked our lives to get you here, and you saved Max's life about 5 hours ago from her insane older brother."

He narrowed his eyes at Mike before continuing, "Then, you became Mr. Macho and kissed her. This isn't you, because some evil ass demon possessed your body. So shut the fuck up and stop spewing bullshit about how you're not in love with Max. Because we all know better."

Mike looked as if he was about to say something when his face slackened and he gave a great shudder, something washing over his expression as his eyes wildly scanned the room and landed on Max.

"M-Max-" He sputtered, his breathing becoming fast and Max rushed towards him, dropping to her knees beside the chair.

"Mike?" She asked, her hand shakily finding his head as she brushed his black, sweaty strands of hair out of his eyes.

Mike, with some effort, touched his forehead to her's, closing his eyes before saying, "I'm s-sorry."

"No-" Max choked, her hand reaching the side of his face. "No Mike, it's not your fault."

He smiled shakily, before he squeezed his eyes shut, his breath catching.

When he opened them again, Max's terrified eyes were roaming over his face, and Mike snarled, "Get away from me!"

He jerked away from Max, his gaze twisting as she slowly got to her feet, backing away from him.

"I told you." She whispered, tears filling her eyes as she looked away from him and at Steve.

"No." Steve said determinedly. "No, Max. We had him. Even if it was just for a few seconds, we had him. We can get him back."

He put a hand on her shoulder. "I will get him back. I promise."

Max swallowed around the lump in her throat as Steve straightened up, brushing his hands briskly together. "Alright."

He looked at Lucas, El, Will, and Dustin before announcing, "Let's get these two ready for a fucking date."

JESUS IM SO SORRY IT'S BEEN FOREVER! i honestly didn't mean to wait this long before i updated but ugh, writer's blocks suck! i'm really really sorry you guys! anyway, here's the update of my two faves and eee steve's back on top of it! well, vote and comment, and i stg i'll try to update sooner (':