sixteen

Mike Wheeler opened the door to Steve Harrington's car, and slid into the backseat.

"Wheeler, my man!" Steve slapped him five as Mike grinned nervously. This was the annual winter dance before Christmas break started. And of course, Mike had asked his girlfriend to it with cheesy balloons and a sign that said, "Will you be my Zoomer?"

It had been cute, and very Mike Wheeler-ish.

Things had been smoothed out with him and Lucas, although Lucas did get a twinge in his chest everytime he saw the two together. But it would go away. Eventually.

Now, Mike leaned across the front seat and grinned at Dustin, who shot him a thumbs up. "We're picking her up, don't worry."

Mike wiped his sweaty hands on his jeans. "I'm not worrying."

Steve snorted, and Mike kicked the back of his seat. "Shut up."

"Hey, not the car, not the car!" Steve whined frantically, twisting his neck around to see if any damage had been done and almost crashed into a fire hydrant.

When the pulled up to the Mayfield house, Mike was half stepping out of the car when Max came pelting down the grass, wearing a dress that made Mike's mouth fall open.

"Damn." Mike whistled softly, and Max kissed him on the cheek. "You clean up good."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't get used to it. My mom made me."

She jerked her head towards the house, and Mike saw her mom looking at the pair from the porch and gave her a lazy wave which she returned before closing the car door shut behind him.

Steve took off down the street towards the middle school, swerving around corners and making all the kids shriek as he almost mowed down an old lady doing her grocery shopping.

"El and Will here?" Max asked as she opened the door and stepped out onto the pavement.

Steve nodded in the direction of the doors. "The whole gang."

Max waved at El, who waved back, and Mike caught sight of her Converse peeking out from under her dress, and grinned.

It was Max all over, and he loved it.

The entire party headed inside, Will tripping over the loose laces to his shoes which Jonathan, who was chaperoning with Nancy and Steve miraculously got a picture of.

They spent the night dancing, Lucas and Dustin hanging around and flirting with numerous girls, and awed over Will and El slow dancing in the middle of the room.

Mike caught Max's eye. "Wanna dance?"

She pressed her lips together, but her eyes twinkled. "Sure."

He took her hand and led her out into the dance floor, placing his hands on her hips as she intertwined hers around his neck.

He constantly stepped on her feet, and mostly shuffled around, his hair falling into his eyes as Max teased, "Geez Wheeler, you ever danced before?"

He narrowed his eyes at her. "Shut up, Maxine."

This made her laugh again, and despite himself Mike couldn't contain himself from smiling at her.

"I can't believe this- me and you- I can't believe it happened." He said after they had caught their breath.

"Well, you know what they say," Max said, raising an eyebrow mischievously.

Mike looked at her. "What?"

She ducked her head, laughing, and then answered, "Misery loves company."

Mike's eyes widened, which made her laugh even more as he spun her, threatening, "Oh, that is it, Mayfield. If you think this relationship is continuing after that little comment you are wrong."

She grinned at him. "I love you, Mike Wheeler. You're my misery."

He moved a lock of hair out of her face and back behind her ear. "I'm your misery?"

Max nodded firmly, repeating, "You're my misery."

He tugged her towards him, touching his forehead to hers. "I can live with that."

And then, his lips had found hers, and he was kissing her, and she was kissing him.

Her misery.

is it sad that i'm crying?? we are done. done forever. i can't believe this was the very first madwheeler book ever to be on wattpad, and how much love it has gotten!! thank you guys endlessly!! i can't wait to see these two in season three (mAYBE another book on them on the way because they honestly mean the entire world to me?? if you're lucky).

i love you all!! xoxo!!