•Sweet Revenge: Prologue•

| P r o l o g u e |

As I'm tackled to the ground, I'm surprised that the first thing that registers is the piercing wail of the distant sirens and not the blood that's seeping through my sweatshirt.

"Shit, bro! The cops are coming!" One of the masked figures calls.

I groan as one more kick hits my side. I close my eyes which are swollen —almost shut— bracing the impact of a second blow...

But it doesn't come.

Instead, I hear the sound of footsteps on the pavement of the back alley I'm in getting further and further away from me.

I lie in silence for a few moments, beginning to drift away, when drops of water hit my forehead.

Rain?

"How could I let this happen to you?" Cries a hysterical voice.

No.

Tears.

"I'm so sorry baby. It was never meant to go this far, but I promise I still love you," he sobs as he softly strokes my cheek.

I muster all the energy I can to ask who it is, yet it still manages to come out as unintelligible whispers.

"W-who a-a-are-"

"Shhh," he says shakily, putting a hand over my mouth.

"When the time comes, you'll know. Until then, just know that whatever I did, it was to protect you from the worst."

I feel our wet, hot tears combining on my cheeks.

"I love you sweetheart. Too much to let you die. I promise I'll make it up to you one day."

With that, he punches my head, and suddenly, I feel as light as air as I welcome the darkness in my body with open arms.