•Chapter 14: Sweet Ride•

| C h a p t e r  1 4 |

When I walk into school the next day, I don't expect Kelsey to be standing at my locker, smiling.

"How'd you know where my locker is?" I ask her.

"Saw you here before you left school. I was going to ask you to come over but you looked way too sick to function."

I nod, understandingly.

"The offer is still up for today," she tells me, looking hopeful. She's refering to a few days ago, when we decided to make plans to hang out after school.

"I'm down," I tell her smiling, "let's meet up here after school and go together."

"Sure."

The rest of the day goes by in a blur of Shakespeare, math equations, historical quotes, and other things which the education system has brought upon me which I hate.

I sit with Kelsey at lunch at the usual spot— behind the school but still not in close proximity to the stoners. We decide that we should do this everyday. It's nice to have a solid friend here.

Kelsey wants to avoid her new step brother, and I want to avoid everyone else.

One thing that stands out today is Wyatt's absence.

I know... It shouldn't faze me, but that phone call last night was extremely out of the ordinary. I may not care about him, but his parents have always been sweet to me.

That's why I'm so worried, right?

I shake my head and walk towards my locker to meet up with Kelsey. She's already waiting for me there and tells me that we have to drive, considering the fact that she lives in the outskirts of town. We walk towards her car: a red Lamborghini Aventador. I stare at it in admiration, but for a bit too long, because Kelsey waves a hand in front of my face.

"It was a bribe gift from Mr. Samson," she justifies, shying away slightly.

"Why do you look so ashamed?" I ask.

She takes a breath. "I don't want anyone to judge me for it. All my life, I've worked hard for everything I got, and now-"

I cut her off. "Don't be worried! I was just admiring the exterior of the car. I would never judge. Also, this is Blossom Heights. With the kinds of people that live here, I've seen plenty of expensive sports cars!"

She looks a bit relieved and gives me a small smile. "I kind of figured, the value of the cars in this parking lot could probably feed all the country's homeless. Now get in!"

We sit in the car and turn it on. The radio starts blasting a random rock album and it we let it play for the twenty minute car ride home. We spend the entire car ride laughing, and it feels like something clicks between the two of us.

The Samson mansion is anything but ordinary. One look at it, and you can immediately tell that there has been exorbitant amounts of money spent on it. I remember the first time I came here, back when I was friends with Joe. I thought it was a palace. Beyond the large fence, there are six-foot tall fountains which surround the front yard. The property is so big that I cannot see the end. I remember always getting lost when I was younger.

Kelsey parks her car in one of the twelve-car garages.

Yes. One of them.

There are six.

The rest of Mr. Samson's cars are around the world on his multiple properties.

We get out of the garage.