•Chapter 15: Sweet Dinner•

| C h a p t e r  1 5 |

I am not exactly sure what to say.

Maybe if I stand around and wait for them to notice me, they'll give me some explanation as to whose kid that is.

"Hello honey!" my mom calls, realizing I'm there.

At this, Camilla and Jack, Wyatt's parents turns and faces me, eyes widening in excitement. His mom walks up to me and hugs me.

"Ashley, sweetheart! It's great to see you!" says Camilla.

I hug her back, and then Jack. "You too Cam!"

We pull apart and then everyone in the room stands staring at each other, wordlessly.

"So..." I say, breaking the silence, staring at the toddler, a little boy, but I'm unsure how to continue.

Jack clears his throat.

"I'm just going to address the obvious elephant in the room," he tells us.

We all nod.

"This is Warren. He's about two and a half. We adopted him a little while back."

They announce it so nonchalantly that I do a double take. I take a look at Warren. He has tanned skin, chubby cheeks, and oriental features. He's literally so cute, I want to eat him.

Too much? Yeah, probably.

I look up at them and smile. "Congrats guys! But if you don't mind me asking, when did you uh... make this decision?"

"Well," begins Cam, eyes lighting up, "we began the process to adopt him last year. We realized Wyatt would be going to college soon, and we didn't want the house to be childless just yet, so we decided to adopt! Your mom helped with the process."

My eyebrows shoot up. "You knew about this?"

"Of course, sweetie," my mom replies.

I'm not sure how to continue this conversation. It's still awkward, to say the least. I resort to making small talk.

"So where'd you adopt him from?"

"Well, he was born in San Francisco and put up for adoption. We went through the process to adopt him and he officially became ours a couple days ago."

If they brought him home a couple days ago, it explains why Wyatt's parents called him to come home and why he never showed up to school.

I walk up to him and kneel down. "Hey bud. It's nice to meet you."

He comes out from behind his mother and hesitantly walks forward. Before I know it, he waves his little hand at me.

And suddenly my heart is about to explode with how cute he is.

"I'm going to go start with dinner," my mom announces. Camilla and Jack follow her into the kitchen, bringing a bottle of wine.

That leaves Warren, Wyatt, and I.

"So... you want to come to my room?" I ask awkwardly.

"Ashley! There is a child here!" he retorts, having the nerve to smirk. I roll my eyes.

"Fine then. Have fun alone."

I grab Warren's cute little hand and pick up a small bag that has some of his toys in it and lead him to my room, locking the door behind me.

I dump the toys out and before we can even start playing, I hear a knock on the door.

"Ashley open the door! I'm bored," Wyatt whines.

I ignore him and continue playing with the adorable two year old with me.

The incessant knocking continues.

"Ashley, come on."

I hear the doorknob moving and look up. Suddenly, the door swings open. Standing in the doorway is Wyatt with a grin on his face.

"Come in, why don't you," I mutter under my breath.

He sits down next to Warren, who stares at him fascinatedly.

Even the little kid is enticed by his aura.

"Hey little dude," he says, smiling at him goofily.

Warren finds this hilarious and starts giggling. Neither of us can contain our laughter, during which our eyes meet. His green eyes are sparkling with happiness.

All of a sudden, Cam's voice floats through the air, telling us that dinner is ready. I take the opportunity to get up and run out of the room.

"Bring Warren with you!" I call out behind me.

We go downstairs, where the table is set with food.

I eat in silence while our parents talk. Suddenly, my mother focuses her attention towards me.

"So where were you after school, honey?"

I look up at her and smile. "I was hanging out at a friend's house."

This answer is enough to satisfy my mother, but not our guest.

"Who's your friend?" he questions.

"Why do you want to know?"

He looks back down at his food and omits the question. The rest of dinner passes with us ignoring each other, and the parents talking. Before I can leave the room, my mom stops me.

"Ashley sweetheart, I just wanted to tell you that Rosie called today while you were gone." she addresses.

This piques my interest. "What did she say?"

"Well, she called to tell me that she booked a flight to come here."

"Rosie's coming? Oh my gosh I'm so hap-"

"No honey, she only paid for the ticket."

"Wait, what?"

"Peter's coming."

My body fills with excitement, and I let out a squeal, which everyone laughs at.

"Who's Peter?" Jack asks.

My mom lets out another short laugh. "Rosie describes him and Ash as soulmates. Apparently when those two are together, they're inseparable. Show them a picture of him!"

"Alright," I tell them, and show them my lock screen which is a picture of me kissing Peter's cheek.

"Wow Ashley! Look at you go," cheers Cam.

"Hey, now I wouldn't describe it as as anything more than-"

My sentence is cut off by the sound of a metal chair scraping against the floor. Wyatt gathers his stuff and walks to the door.

"Hey guys, I just remembered that I have some English homework that I need to finish. Take your time here. I can take Warren back home and tuck him in bed."

"Oh look at you being such a good big brother already!" Camilla gushes, "But it's fine dear, we'll bring him in a couple of hours."

As Wyatt leaves with his jaw clenched and eyebrows knit together, I remember that we don't even have English homework.