Race x reader

Being Race's best friend was a blessing to you, you had lived a constrained life for seventeen years, Race had taught you a life of freedom. Your mother had only just allowed you to go out without her lurking over your shoulder, you walked around and bumped into a young boy, he introduced himself as Racetrack Higgins and a friendship blossomed between you two. A growing problem you had with your family was your relationship status, your parents were growing desperate. They wanted you to marry a rich man, but with their growing desperation they wanted you to marry anyone, you were starting to get irritated with your parents constant begging to find someone to marry so you approached Race as you came to his usual selling spot as you do every morning.
"Mornin' y/n. How ya doin'?" Race asks smirking at you, you feel yourself blush as he does so, you had started to fall for the blond newsboy but you knew he would rather have someone else other than you.
"I'm ok Race, I need ta ask ya somethin'." You say, wringing your hands as you stare at the floor.
"Ya sure, what is it?" He says, passing his papers to Specs who grumbles as the papers are thrust into his hands.
"My parents won't stop keep goin' on about how I hafta find a boyfriend soon so I was wondering..."
"If I would pretend I am your boyfriend?" Race says, finishing your sentence, you look up nervously to see his beaming face.
"Of course I will, yer ma best friend." He says, you smile weakly, the words 'best friend' hitting you like a rock. 'That's all you'll ever be to him.' You think to yourself, you thank Race hurriedly and rush off to tell your parents, they rejoice and when you tell them that Race is a newsboy they hardly seem fazed, they're just too happy about the fact you actually have a boyfriend. That night you walked over to the Lodging House to pick Race up and walk him to your house, he comes out looking respectable and clean.
"Racetrack Higgins, have you actually made an effort to look good?" You ask, covering your mouth with your hand. He nods enthusiastically, you smile at him and he takes your arm as you walk through the streets of Manhattan. You stop outside your house and you turn to Race.
"Race, don't mess this up." You say, he nods quickly and you open the door. Your parents welcome Race in happily and the dinner runs smoothly and Race gets the parents seal of approval to date you. After the dinner, Race is sat in your room preparing to leave soon as he'd been in there with you for about an hour. He stands up and you give him a big hug which he returns quickly,
"Thank you so much Race, it means a lot." He laughs and pulls away,
"Hey, it was fun and if I do say so myself, we'd make such a cute couple." You laugh and shake it off,
"Yeah, we would." You say, taking what he said as a joke. He suddenly grabs your hands and you look up at him in shock.
"I'm bein' serious y/n, I love ya, would ya like to go to Jacobi's tomorrow for a date?" He says with such confidence, you know that he's not joking. He's never been so serious in his life. You nod your head, happy tears welling in your eyes and you wrap his arms around his neck and he kisses your forehead.
"I gotta go y/n, you know what Jack gets like if someone's out too long." Race says chuckling, you nod and he kisses your cheek quickly before retreating out of your room. You watch as he leaves, you're so grateful for Racetrack Higgins.