Chapter 6: A Familiar Face

◇ ═ Start of Chapter 6 ═ ◇

Taisiya's POV

3 years had passed since I first started my journey with Ikki and Kite. Compared to when I first came, my Japanese had improved drastically and I could also speak in a native accent which was useful for laying low on profile.

After travelling a lot and trying new styles, I found that not only was having short hair both convenient and pretty, I also found a hairstyle I liked and was comfortable with which was cut short to my ears in a bob hairstyle.

Not only did I improve in my Japanese, but I was also in the process of learning how to be a hunter with Kite. Instead of teaching me how to fight as I had assumed, Kite had trained me to increase my body physicality and stamina. He also trained me to sense changes in my environment as well as use my surroundings to my advantage in small combat. 

Kite had voiced that I wasn't ready to learn more aggressive fighting. He said learning how to fight seriously could cause me to overestimate my skills and become reckless and impulsive. 

I wanted to tell him that was exactly how my personality was but I figured he would delay my combat training even more if I said that.

Ikki had already turned 11 years old. Other than growing a bit taller, he was still as cheerful and easygoing as he was a child. Although my improvement in Japanese didn't require him to speak Russian anymore, we still talk in Russian when we secretly talk about Kite behind his back.

Kite hadn't changed at all. He was still a silent lone wolf that protected and took care of me and Ikki from our shadows. After the incident of me searching his bag, he hadn't trusted me enough to help him hide from the Hunter Association, but he had allowed me to help him find information about Kazimir and Ilya Vasiliev.

"Can you see him anywhere, Raika-san?" Ikki called from behind me. Turning around, I caught the figure of the white-haired boy approaching me.

After further talking about the consequences of being found due to using my Russian name in public, I finally agreed to use Raika as a nickname to use in public to hide my unique Russian name. Not only my name, Ikki and I became aware that we couldn't senselessly talk Russian in public so we started to talk in Japanese.

Surprisingly, despite being 5 years apart, Ikki was almost as tall as me, probably because of how short I was compared to my actual age added by Ikki's amazing growth sprout.