Chapter 5

Edited January 20, 2021

~

Emily woke up in the same exhausting fashion as she had for roughly the start of term, drenched in cold sweat without a single memory from her dreams other than the blood-curdling sensation that practically bellowed through her body, whispering to her that she wasn't as alone as she had thought. It was worth noting that her nights were less aggravating after neglecting the black diary she and Ginny once shared, but Emily still found sleep to be anything but peaceful.

The Slytherin grunted at the squirming figure at the foot of her bed. With her poor eyesight paired with the darkness of the night seeping through the windows, Emily could only make out two floppy triangle ears and a pointed nose. She felt her throat grow hot with rage at the familiar silhouette, she instantly took her glasses from the side table and slid them on, confirming her theory of their uninvited visitor.

"It's you!" Emily shrilly hissed, looking at the house-elf. "You told me not to return to Hogwarts – What on earth are you doing here, Dobby?"

From the next bed over, a warm light gradually glowed, encasing the small portion of the hospital wing in a soft orange glow. Harry had nearly the same reaction to seeing the unexpected guest, "Dobby!"

The house-elf grinned brightly at the twins, his ears perking up in the excitement of seeing them again. "Hello!" Emily scoffed, pulling up her body to sit up straight, muffling down the reflex of crying out in pain since her leg was still in the process of growing back her bones. "I'll ask again, what are you doing here?"

Harry frowned, realizing that his sister knew the elf. "How do you two know each other – hang on," He looked at Dobby who now looked increasingly guilty under his gaze. "You told us both not to come back to school. Did – did you do this to us?" His voice rose unexpectedly, gesturing to his and Emily's hospital beds.

Emily felt her energy being drained from her when she replayed the oddities that had happened earlier on. "It's been Dobby all along. Starting with the barrier being sealed shut – have you any idea how much trouble you've put us in?"

"Dobby had hoped for the Potters to get in trouble and be sent home – Dobby only wishes for the Potters' safety!" He said sadly, showing his bandaged fingers. "Dobby had to iron his hands for his meddlesome actions."

I don't know if I should feel bad for him. Emily exchanged glances with his brother who was still equally confused why these series of misfortunate events had to happen at all. "So, when you cut us off from passing through the platform and bewitching those bludgers TO KILL US – what else is there to be done? Or is that why you're here, are you going to finally finish us off? Smother us with our own pillows, perhaps?"

Harry felt his jaw slacken for a minute, but he pulled himself together and made a mental note to remember how dark a conversation can go when his sister was in the equation. Dobby squeaked, his tennis ball-sized eyes widening even more so, "Oh, no! Not kill you – Never kill you, Dobby only wants for the Potters to be safe, to be sent home." He proclaimed. "Dobby still remembers how it was when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. We house-elves were treated like Vermin, of course, Dobby is still treated like Vermin. Life has improved for my kind ever since the Potters defeated the dark lord. Terrible things are about to happen at Hogwarts. Dobby cannot let Harry and Emily stay here now that history is to repeat itself."

Repeat itself? Emily frowned at the cryptic air his message brought. "What's about to happen again, Dobby? You must tell us. You owe us at that much."

"The Chamber. The Chamber of Secrets is open." Dobby hesitantly answered, burrowing his face into the corner of Harry's blanket.

It's all making sense, I think. Emily looked at her brother, glad to see that he was already thinking the same thing. "So, there is a chamber!" She exclaimed, beginning to feel fully awake, but then something kicked in that displaced some of the facts. "Dobby, I don't see how we could be in danger. We're not Muggle-born."