Chapter 7

Edited as of February 18, 2021

This damn chapter is 17.7k words long. That's longer than the communist manifesto which is a solid 11k, idk why but that's funny to learn (shout out to A03 for publishing it lmao, it's on public domain so feel free to write fanfic about it). 

Anyway, this drained the life outta me! So many things happened. And once I start/finish editing book 3,,,, i am cursed with the task of editing the rest which are like 40+ chapters long. Why did I do this to myself?

I should let you know that I did some revisions to this chapter. I was a lazy lil child when I wrote this, so it was full of time skips. Everything is as detailed as I can make it, and this chapter is like a Frankenstein's monster of 11/12-year old me and 22-year-old me. 

I hope you like it!

~

"I was so sure that it was Malfoy! I mean, you'd naturally figure it was him all along with how he is – right?" Ron asked Harry and Hermione while on their walk back to Gryffindor House. He was met with a pensive look from the girl. If there was something that Hermione truly didn't like, it was being proven wrong. She believed in facts, but once Emily had discredited everything, what is there to believe?

Suddenly, a loud boom clanged from the floor above them followed by a shout of seething rage. The trio wasn't sure what it was, but by the sound of what seemed to be a metal bucket slamming against the floor, they assumed it was no other than Argus Filch.

Harry stepped forward towards the banisters, briefly catching a glimpse of Filch mopping the floor, and hearing him irritably complain, "More work for me! Moppin' all day – gah! As if I haven't gotten enough to do tonight." He turned back to his friends and led them to another path that would get them to the floor above, carefully circling around Filch undetected. "Wonder what's got his wand in a knot." He muttered, advancing up the steps, his adrenaline coming to a peak when they had arrived at the floor, their feet being met with a wave of cold water.

Hermione and Ron staggered backward in surprise, while Harry ran towards the source, unphased and determined. He hadn't seen his sister all that much since the Polyjuice potion incident, and whenever Harry did manage to catch up with her, it was only for a moment before Emily would eventually slip away with an excuse. She had become paler in comparison to Harry, her eyes lackluster and tired, making her brother believe that she wasn't getting enough sleep, or if she was sleeping at all.

During classes, despite her presence, the manner in which she had conducted herself made it seem like Emily was never there in the first place. She almost never answered questions, leaving Hermione to wonder why Emily didn't raise her hand as much. She almost obsessively wrote notes, her eyes barely leaving the notebook where she wrote in, making all of her friends to worry since Emily loathed taking notes and would always borrow theirs instead so that she could copy from them later that day.

Somber moans cracked Harry out of his concern for his sister, effectively pulling him back into the curious situation they were now in as they crept inside the haunter bathroom. Moaning Myrtle perched herself along the bend of the stained glass window, the moonlight pouring in over her, making her glow almost transparently while she audibly displayed her grief and distress. "Who's there?" Moaning Myrtle asked in between cries, her eyes widening at the three students who came out of the shadows, "Come to throw another book at me?"

Ron frowned, briefly glancing at Harry and Hermione, "What reason would we have to throw books at you?"

"I don't know!" Myrtle screeched, floating down from the window to be on level with them. "Here I am, minding my own business, and someone comes in and thinks to get a laugh from hurling books at my head."