Chapter 1: The Mission

The rebel base was bustling with people arriving from missions, departing for missions, and endless other daily tasks

The rebel base was bustling with people arriving from missions, departing for missions, and endless other daily tasks. Ships came in and out of the hangar embedded in the temple, soaring over jungle and water as they entered and exited the atmosphere of Yavin IV.

The rebels were a force to be reckoned with, yet they ducked out of the way of a small brunette woman storming across the base. Her dark locks bounced with every step she took, her anger displayed across usually soft features.

"Orona, where are you—"

"Sorry, princess, I have a Captain to murder," Orona called as she passed Leia Organa, paying little mind to the woman's higher ranking.

A smirk upon her lips, Leia simply rolled her eyes.

Orona briefly wondered what Leia was doing on Yavin IV, but dismissed it, as she often visited the base with her father on official business. After all, she had more important things to fuss over currently, such as interrogating Captain Andor.
Her knuckles rapped on the door to said Captain's room, which opened almost immediately.

"Don't be mad," his accented voice met Orona's ears.

She pushed past him into his room, her hard gaze not once leaving his.

"You're mad."

She scoffed. "Of course I'm mad! Cassian, you left without a word of this mission at who knows what hour, and then you don't report to base until two days after you were due back with no heads up or—"

"Orona." he grasped her shaking shoulders, and pulled her into an embrace. "I'm fine. I️ always am."

She sighed, her eyes trailing downwards and their fire subsiding. "I know... but still, pull that shit again, and I'm locking you in your room and throwing away the key, and..."

He stepped back and raised a brow at her, waiting for her to finish her thought, but she instead shook her head and changed the subject of the conversation.

"Mothma wants to speak to you about your mission. And we have another upcoming assignment, I️ believe. We're supposed to leave in a few days," she explained, avoiding his gaze.

Cassian grumbled under his breath. "Already? I just got back."

Orona huffed a sarcastic laugh, following him through the door, "Well, what did you expect? A relaxing spa day?"

He bumped his shoulder into hers teasingly as they walked side by side. He scrunched his tan, tired face to contain a laugh, muttering, "Shut up."

"Anyways, how'd your mission go? You went to the Ring of Kafrene, right?"

He nodded, hesitating to elaborate, his features remaining neutral. "Yes, it went fine."

By the tone of his voice, Orona could tell he had had to take precautions he didn't very well like. Then again, if some of them didn't get their hands dirty, the rebellion might have died long ago. She glanced up at his face, far too strained and weathered for someone his age.