Chapter 9: The Rogues

Cassian led Jyn to Orona's room, his steps heavier than they were last time Jyn saw him at the rebel base

"This is her room. I'm sure she won't mind sharing," said Cassian, unlocking the door to Orona's room and pushing it open.

Jyn attempted a smirk, but it faltered slightly with the looming remembrance of Orona's capture. "You have a key to my sister's room?"

Cassian's face felt hot at the comment, but quickly covered it up. "We're partners—I have to be able to access her at any time."

Jyn raised a brow, and Cassian sighed, caving.

"She's my family, and she wanted me to know that."

A sad smile lit his features as he fingered the key in his grasp. Jyn understood from his look of longing that he didn't just care for her sister, but rather loved her.

"The debriefing is in an hour. You should get cleaned up. I, for one, could use a shower," he said.

"Thanks." Jyn shook her head and shut the door behind her.

Cassian watched as it clicked shut, wishing that Orona was the one safely behind those doors. He knew it was selfish to think that way, and Orona would likely scold him for those thoughts, had she somehow heard them. Shaking his head, he backed away into his room across the hall, finding it exactly as messy as he left it. He stared at the wheeled chair at his desk that Orona often liked to spin on while he did paperwork.

Suddenly seeing red in a fit of anger, Cassian threw the chair on its side and kicked it away with a prolonged, growling shout.

"Damnit!"

He breathed heavily, backing into the wall and sliding down it slowly. His head hung between his knees, Cassian begged—no, prayed—for the first time in a long time, that the Force wouldn't let her die.

<><><>

"Reach out to its energy. Feel its matter as if it were your own. Move it."

A small stone sat perched on a pedestal in front of Orona, perfectly weathered into a rounded black oval. She tried to focus on the rock, and moving it.

With her freaking mind. She thought the notion was ridiculous. The looming shame of her true parentage still lingered, trapping her mind in a spiral of anxiety. The Rebellion wouldn't accept her after this stunt. How could she move a rock with all of this on her mind? She didn't know, but if she failed, her punishment would be far more brutal than her thoughts.

"Feel the stone." His voice seemed to draw closer to her, and though it frightened her, she couldn't help her growing grin.

"Feel the rock. Be the rock. Smell the ro—"

A sick gurgle escaped her lips, forcing away the laugh, when he began to suffocate her.