Chapter 7: The Truth

"Hurry up!" Orona yelled over the raging storm

Jyn quickened her pace, mud splashing up from her heavy footfalls. The sisters neared the platform now, soaked to the bone with frigid water. Jyn struggled to keep up with Orona's agile, trained feet, driven by her desperation. They came to an enormous ladder stretching far above their heads, exchanging a look of apprehension.

"Only place to go is up." Orona grabbed the ladder and began climbing.

Jyn exhaled, following after her sister. "If you get us killed, I'll kill you." She heard a laugh above her.

"Not if I kill myself first."

"Not funny," Jyn scolded, her voice straining to be heard over the storm.

Meanwhile, Cassian and Bodhi kneeled on a ridge overlooking the Imperial Research Facility, spying on the figures gathered on the distant platform.

"You see Erso out there?" Cassian handed the binoculars to Bodhi.

"That's him," he said. "That's him, Galen, in the dark suit."

"Get back down there, and find us a ride," ordered Cassian, not looking up from the platform.

"What are you doing?"

"You heard me."

"You said we came up here just to have a look," Bodhi corrected.

"I'm here, I'm looking. Go, hurry!" Cassian felt guilty for snapping again, but the emotion was trivial in comparison to the war raging in his mind; he had to kill Orona's father.

After Bodhi disappeared, he raised his weapon, nauseous. He felt like he should be shaking Galen's hand, not preparing to blow his head off. The captain stalled, readjusting his grip on the rifle.

"Don't do anything stupid, Cass."

He remembered the way her lips felt on his neck when she whispered, her warm breath fanning his blushed skin.

Defeatedly, Cassian exhaled, head falling to rest on the gun. He cared far more about the snarky woman than the Rebellion, and now, despite the storming night, that was as clear as day.

When he finally lifted his head, he spied through his scope only to see the two Erso sisters climbing their way up to the platform. "No," he whispered, eyes wild and wide.

From his comm device, Kaytoo's voice was suddenly audible. "Cassian. Cassian, can you hear me?"

"I'm here. You got it working?"

"Affirmative, yes," he paused, "although we have a problem! There's an alliance squadron approaching."

"No, no, no, Kay, stop them! Rona's down there!" Cassian shouted, standing and starting down the rocky path, slipping occasionally on the damp stone.