Chapter 10: The Final Hours

"SW-0608 clear for landing pad 9

"SW-0608 clear for landing pad 9. Acknowledge, please."

Bodhi pressed a button, speaking into the radio comm device. "SW-0608 proceeding to LP9 as instructed."

Cassian leaned over Bodhi's shoulder. "The main building down there, what is it?"

"That's the Citadel Tower. They keep all the Imperial structure archives in there. If the plans are anywhere, they'll be there."

He nodded. "The dish at the top? What's it for?"

"I guess it takes a lot of signals to send those data files out."

"Landing track engaged," said Kaytoo.

"Landing track locked." Bodhi flipped a few switches.

Cassian moved towards the passenger compartment, announcing, "We're landing. We're coming in!"

Silence and the hum of the ship filled the void. The rebels knew what they were getting into; they would either return as heroes, or meet their demises. The latter was most likely.

Jyn stepped forwards. They couldn't go to battle like this. Their nerves would doom them all before they even made it to the beach.

"Saw Gerrera used to say, one fighter with a sharp stick and nothing left to lose can take the day."

She paused. The rebels listened attentively.

"They have no idea we're coming. They have no reason to expect us. If we can make it to the ground, we'll take the next chance. And the next. On and on until we win... or... the chances are spent. The Death Star plans are down there. Cassian, Kaytoo, and I will find them. We'll find a way to find them."

Cassian smirked. Jyn was a rebel now.

"Melshi, Pao, Baze, Chirrut, you'll take main squad, move east and get wide of the ship. Find a position between here and the tower. Once you get to the best spot, light the place up," Cassian ordered, setting his jaw and looking like a true leader in his tall stance. "Make ten men feel like a hundred."

"All right." Baze lifted his weapon with the smallest of smiles.

"And get those troopers away from us."

Bodhi spoke meekly, "What should I do?"

"Keep the engine running. You're our only way out of here."

<><><>

Orona laid on the bed, facing the ceiling. In her hands, she fiddled with the small clock she'd taken off the wall. She'd managed to unscrew the battery door with her nails, and then began digging through the mechanics of the clock. Something in there had to be sharp.

Eventually, she put it all together again, hanging it in its place on the wall. She laid back on the bed again, but Krennic appeared soon after.