Chapter Seventeen ~

The cold wind blew around him, making Jungkook shiver as he stared at the door in front of him. The lights inside were on and he heard a TV running, a man saying inaudible words. Eden was asleep in her carrier and Jungkook was amazed at how she still fit in it. Her face was still and her mouth was slightly open, her fingers twitching in her sleep. He took a deep breath. What if they don't accept me? What if they slam the door and tell me that I am a disgrace? Before any other negative thoughts drove him away, he pushed the door bell and a loud ringing was heard.

The seconds it took for his mom to open the door seemed to be more like a million years. But the door swung open, revealing an aged woman and a male behind her walking out of what Jungkook knew was the kitchen.

"Uh, hey m-"

"Jungkook, I'm so glad you came home!" His mom cheered, pulling her son in for a hug.

"Look what the cat dragged in," his dad chuckled. "Haven't seen you in a while. What brings you back?"

His mom suddenly went quiet and pointed at the carrier in Jungkook's hands. "Is that the little girl we've been hearing about?"

Jungkook sheepishly nodded. He went to speak but his mom grabbed his other hand, pulling him in. "She's going to get a cold!"

The door slammed shut and he embraced the warm atmosphere that filled the nostalgic home. He had grown up here and he could remember running around and tipping over vases and causing trouble with his brother. He felt himself smile.

"You've got a lot of explaining!" his mom said. She told Jungkook to put the carrier down in the living room and when he obeyed, his mom sat in front of it like a kid at a Christmas tree.

"Yeah, I know I have a lot," Jungkook sighed. "I don't know where to start."

"Just from the beginning," his dad said. "That's the best place to start."

And he did. Jungkook told them about the girlfriend he had two years ago and how he had never told a single soul other than the boys. He talked about what they did and all the memories he remembered that clouded his mind every now and then. He took his time explaining the party, barely remembering most of it due to the alcohol and then he moved on to the months following, from the news about his ex's pregnancy to the feelings he felt during the nine months. How he was scared and nervous about what was to come. And then he talked about Eden and how he became blessed to take care of her. He mentioned Sarah and all the secretive things he had to pull to keep his daughter out from the public eye and everyone else. And then he brought up what had just recently happened and then to why he was now at his parent's.

"I'm sorry, mom, dad," Jungkook muttered. "I'm sorry I threw my life away and messed with some girl. I know I messed up. And I'm sorry that I didn't live up to what you wanted me to be."

"Jungkook, we will always love you," Mrs. Jeon cooed.

"And I think you deserve more respect for actually taking care of your daughter and not throwing her out in the cold," his dad added, his voice booming.

"Yes, we're upset to have been told this just now," his mom went on. "But we're proud of you, honestly."

"I would've come sooner but... I was afraid of what you guys would tell me." He looked at the toddler that was in front of his mom. Her eyes slowly opened and the three grownups in the room went quiet and still as the little girl looked around with wide eyes. Mrs. Jeon watched in awe as her granddaughter looked at her with wonder. And then the peace shattered as the little one let out an ear-piercing scream.

"Oh, Eden, it's okay," Jungkook soothed, gently picking up Eden. He bounced her up and down on his hip until she stopped crying. "It's your grandparents, Eden. They're not going to hurt you."

"Is she always like this?" His mom asked. "Is there something wrong?"

Jungkook shook his head, situated Eden more comfortably in his arms. "She's just a bit clingy to her daddy."

"Reminds me of you," his dad said. "You cried every time one of us left the room."

"So why are you wanting to leave her here?" his mom questioned him.

"I don't have any money, mom!" Jungkook sighed. "I can't take care of her right now."

"Then just live here with us," his dad suggested.

"I don't want to rely on you guys. I can't be a burden more than I already am."

"Oh hush," his mom quipped. "You are not a burden and we would love for you to stay here while you're getting back on your feet. You don't need to leave her."

Jungkook looked down at Eden in his arms. She was sucking on her thumb and staring off into space. "I don't want to but I need to."

"Just think about it, Jungkook," his dad said. "In the meantime, why don't we get you and Eden situated?"

---