Training With Tributes (And Taking Cato's Knife)

I went to bed that night listening to the singing of mockingjays and hummingbirds through the television. It was a dreamless sleep so when I woke up, it felt like no time at all had even passed.

I met the others at breakfast. "Pass the butter," said Chaff. Valora passed him the butter,
"thanks." Chaff tried talking but accidentally sprayed crumbs everywhere. Valora squealed in horror.
"Chaff!" Screamed a horrified Valora. Chaff tried to apologise but Seeder stopped Chaff from accidentally spraying crumbs everywhere again.

I looked at Thresh and he looked at me, then we both fell about laughing. "Stop it, all of you!" Shouted Valora. I couldn't help giggling at the mess we all made. Seeder and Valora sighed in dismay. Chaff swallowed down his toast at last and said,
"So, it's the training day today, you two ready?" Thresh nodded but I was unsure of what talents I even had. The only thing I could do in the arena is weave baskets and hide in trees, not too helpful. Thresh could lift giant boulders and hurtle rocks, he was definitely someone who had potential to win.
__________

Valora lead me and Thresh down the elevator till we reached the bottom floor. The doors opened and to my surprise we were one of the first tributes to arrive. 1, 2, and 5 were already busy training. I immediately went to the climbing course. It was a net that draped all over the room. It went all the way to the ceiling. I started to climb, more tributes arrive. By then I was at the top and was wondering about what I would try out next when suddenly I saw that a district 2 tribute had left his knife on the floor.

Without missing a beat, I clambered down swiftly until I was hanging by my toes and I grabbed the knife quickly. I pulled myself up again, just in time too. The district 2 boy came back and saw the district 10 boy near the place where I took his knife. The district 2 tribute, who I gathered his name to be 'Cato' shouted at the district 10 tribute. They soon got into a fight and peacekeepers had to drag them apart. "I'LL GET YOU FIRST, YOU PUNK," screamed Cato threateningly.

I felt a pair of eyes on me so I looked down to see a district 12 girl staring up at me. She had a brown braid down her right shoulder and deep, misty gray eyes. I clambered away quickly and she looked away smiling to herself. The boy from district 12 tried to climb as well but got tangled in the net and fell. District 1 and 2 tributes, who I heard were the 'Careers' jaunted him. I heard the district 12 girl whisper to him something. I didn't stay long enough to find out what she said. I climbed down quickly and went to take a shot at archery. But the nearest thing I'd ever leant to archery was slingshotting. We used to do that in the orchards and aim for birds. But one time Annie got caught. It was terrible, she was promptly shot and killed. I was so scared that I daren't ever do that again.

Anyway, I tried archery but I missed the target from about 15ft, I gave up after that. I saw an older girl in the corner identifying plants. I could already do that as I was from district 11, but I went to sit next to her anyway.
"Hello, what district are you from?" I asked.
"District 5, you?" She answered back quietly.
"I'm from 11, what's your name? I'm Rue."
"I'm Finch***YES THIS IS FOXFACE'S REAL NAME***"
"Nice to meet you, I'd better get going. I might try hiding next." I laugh. She laughed too, "Hey, that's what I'm good at!" We both giggle as I walk away. I saw the District 12 girl again but this time she didn't see me. She was talking to the district 12 boy who looked like he was tired.
"Hey, um, I think you have a shadow there," said the boy. The girl quickly turned around and I dodged out of the way, but she'd already seen me.
__________

I met up with Thresh after training,
"How was it, Rue?" Asked Thresh.
"Tiring," I replied with a yawn. Thresh laughed,
"well it's time for dinner so we'd better get dressed." I walked up to my room and chose another outfit. This time I chose a light blue tee shirt and shorts. I joined the rest for dinner that night, with general chatter.

I went to sleep that night feeling the most refreshed I had felt since the week began.

**Author's note
Halfway through this chapter I realised I was typing in past and present tense so I was like, GODDAMMITTTTT. Do say if you spot any grammatical or punctual errors 😂