The Finale

I was sitting in a tree by the cornucopia, the locket from Ada dangling from my neck. And I was waiting. Waiting for the grand feast to be held, and a mini bloodbath. My wounds were still not fully healed yet, but that didn't matter as I was not preparing to fight. I wondered how the other tributes were doing. I lost track of how many were alive ages ago. It seems like years since I was placed in this arena, but i know it's only been a week going into two.

At this point I wanted to stop living. I had caught a glimpse of my face in the reflection of the river. My face was... well, not good. My eyes were droopy and hollow, and my hair was matted. I wanted to scream. I hoped Thresh and Katniss are doing okay, I haven't seen many dead lately which is a good sign. Then I was distracted by the movement from below the trees. The feast was about to begin.
__________
A flock of red hair shot through the silence of the cornucopia- the first strike. She was running too fast for me to catch a glimpse of her face. But I remember seeing her somewhere before... then it clicked.
She's still alive. I thought to myself. Finch, the girl from district 5, the one that I had bonded with so long ago. To be honest, I never thought she would make it so far into the game. She was quiet and shy, and kept to herself mostly. That must be her tactic. Although she's alive. I had forgotten about her until now, when I saw her shooting towards the cornucopia, snatching a bag that had the number 5 painted on it.
I wonder what she needed?

The arena was quiet, anxiously waiting for the second person to strike. It seemed we were waiting for years, but it had only been seconds when the second person ran. I froze in terror. It was Katniss. No, no, no. What if she is attacked? What if-? I cut myself off. We'll just have to see how this plays out. Not a split second later, another person shot out from behind the bushes. From what I saw, it was just brown hair, but it was running after Katniss. I wanted to warn her, scream at Katniss for her to run. But I was silenced by the anxiety and fear that had quietly seeped its way through me. Katniss seemed to realize a bit too late that someone was after her. She had snatched up her bag and ran face first into the dark haired girl. My breathing shallower as my heart jumped into my throat.
Please, please don't let her die. I thought.
Then the girl drew a knife. A sharp dagger from what I could see. And she was talking to Katniss, a smug grin on her face. I couldn't hear what they were saying but Katniss was being held down by the girl. I wanted her to escape so badly. I almost fell out the tree I was perched on when I saw that the girl had her knife raised above Katniss's neck, ready to bring it down.

Tears stung my eyes. Katniss couldn't escape. I looked away quickly. This is it.
__________
The girl was dead. Her knife was a meter away from where she fell. To this day, I never knew what happened because I looked away. In the split second I looked away, something happened.

Someone or something came running in and killed the girl but let Katniss go.  What was it? The blood had pooled around her head and was now trickling into the grass. I wish I had seen what happened. I wish I didn't look away. Maybe I would have seen it. I heard screaming and that's it. The screaming overlapped the voice that was shouting. What happened? Then I noticed something strange. The district 11 bag along with the district 2 bag had disappeared. I can only merely guess at what had happened, but I think Thresh did it. I think he killed the girl, and took her bag. He's safe at least. It was a good play on his part, but how many tributes remain? I was starving at this point and I needed to get food. Less tributes mean more places to go without being ambushed.
__________
Boom.
There it rung, loud and clear. Who was it? I had just finished collecting food when I heard it. The cannon. Another tribute has died. I prayed it wasn't Thresh, or Katniss. It was around midday at this point, and the memory of the brown haired girl seemed so distant, even though it had just happened this morning. Who died? I thought to myself.
'Peeta, Peeta! Peeta, where are you?!'
I whipped my head round to see who had broken the eerie silence of the arena, and saw Katniss shooting through the lush greenery beneath me. Was that cannon Peeta's? I had not thought about Katniss' district partner much until now, when the cannon could have been his.