Chapter 5

Kaitlin sits on the couch at least a foot away from Harry.

He grins, patting the spot right beside him. "I don't bite, Love."

She smiles, moving to sit closer to Harry, their thighs just barely touching. Leaning down, Harry whispers in her ear, "That is unless you want me to."

Kaitlin sucks in a loud breath. Harry snickers and she slaps his chest playfully.

"How about some ice cream before I start the movie?" She asks.

"Sounds good."

When she returns with the pints of ice cream she asks Harry, "Which would you prefer?"

"You choose, Princess."

Kaitlin feels the now familiar warmth surrounding her heart. She keeps the peanut butter and hands him the chocolate. Then without hesitation she sits close to Harry, tucking her legs under her and leaning against him.

A satisfied, contented sigh escapes Harry.

Noticing that each of their containers are half way gone, Harry offers to return them to the freezer. When he returns to the living room, he sits on the coffee table in front of Kaitlin. "Princess."

Her heart skips a beat. "Yes?"

"This movie sucks." The corners of Harry's mouth curve up.

Kaitlin laughs. "It does."

"Let's talk instead."

She nods.

"What happened to your plans for tonight?"

"Tony waited until the last minute to call and tell me that he decided to hang with his friends tonight instead.

Harry frowns. "Sounds like he doesn't appreciate what he has."

Kaitlin looks down at her hands folded in her lap.

"Dani mentioned that you might feel obligated to this...Tony?"

She looks up, tilting her head. "You two were talking about me?"

"I'm sorry, Princess. I'm just trying to understand."

Kaitlin furrows her brows. "Understand what?"

Harry looks into her eyes, blowing out a breath. "Honestly...I'm trying to figure out if I should gracefully bow out or if I should fight like hell for you."

Kaitlin swallows hard, that fluttering feeling in her heart now feels like a stampede of butterflies. "Harry...I..."

Laying his hand on her bare knee, Harry says, "You don't have to say anything. I don't mean to push you." Blowing out a nervous breath, he continues, "I should be going. I have an early morning." He stands, walking to the front door with Kaitlin following.

Standing together in the open doorway, Kaitlin says, "Thank you for everything, Harry. You truly made me feel so much better. You rescued me from a terrible evening."

Harry smiles, resting his hand in her hair. "You call me anytime you need rescuing, Princess." He leans down, leaving a kiss on her forehead. Pulling back he looks into her eyes, finding such a mixture of emotions. "Good night, beautiful Kaitlin."

With her heart pounding she reaches out taking Harry's hand. "Goodnight...", she wants to say more but fear and confusion pause her.

Harry bites his lip as he gently pulls his hand away.

Kaitlin watches as he walks to his car. However, she's unaware of the other person watching as well.