Chapter 11: Across Enemy Grounds

Lira assembled the high achievers with the strongest abilities: Dion, Ari, Fris, Shon, Daae, Cess, and Fula. Although the adrenaline and exhaustion from the day prior had yet to wear from Ari's system, she did not hesitate to sling her heavy backpack onto her back, ready to leave.

"I guess it's a good thing you're actually caring a bit more than just you and your cushy lifestyle now, Transformer," said Rale, seeing her off. "Hope you make it back, 'cos, er, it's not half bad having you around."

"No need to talk like you expect me to perish on this mission," said Ari, quirking a smile. "I expect you to look after Mina properly."

Mina hadn't spoken to Ari after seeing her raise her hand during the votes. She remained in the shadows even when Ari went to say goodbye, her back turned to her.

"Yeah, yeah. Not like there's much to do around here anyway. I'll miss the chat. Seems like the Dancer conveniently left the most boring and wooden lot behind." Rale waved. "At least leave Shon alive. He's not too bad, when he's not busy being a martyr."

"I'll see you when I come back." Ari pushed aside the deep ache in her heart. When she glanced at Mina's cell, her sister remained in the far corner, not responding.

"We're doing something different this time," said Lira, nodding to the team as they assembled. "It should be easier than when we went to the research Institute, for those who were there. We're actively seeking out the robots."

"How? Are we waving signs? Screaming?" said Cess, unimpressed, her arms crossed over her chest.

"They didn't take long to find us when we first left March City." Lira turned and they followed her out of the shopping centre. "We just need to be careful they don't find the sick students before we have our bargain, otherwise they'll have an upper hand on us."

"You expect the worst in people, don't you?" said Ari.

"Humans are fickle, Ari," said Lira. "We are inherently selfish and self-fulfilling. That's what makes humans predictable. Ask yourself: 'What's in it for them?' and you can predict their next moves. Then you can use it to your favour."

Lira's a manipulator, too. Mina's words echoed in Ari's mind. Her mouth opened and shut. Lira's ability was frightening.

The doors opened to grey skies and cooler air than the last few days. Trees swayed in the wind, releasing the same rich, refreshing scent, but it no longer soothed Ari as it initially did. For an hour, they walked in silence. Ari glanced at the other students. Not counting her and Lira, half of those on the expedition voted against this. They would rather the remaining students survived than try to save all of them. Furious as Ari was at the idea people would openly discard Mina due to her sickness, she understood. Last year, she would have said the same. It wasn't her business. Not her problem. Fris might feel responsible for the younger ones she'd looked after in Kena's facility — and a few of them had managed to survive the initial onslaught from the robots — and Lira was ever the control freak, but aside from Mina, Ari had no investment in this. But that, too, had changed. The relieved faces, the trusting expressions for her when Cryo unleashed his powers on them outside Area Ten — they believed in her, relied on her, just as Mina did. And it gnawed deep inside if she were to even consider discarding that trust.

The tall, windowless buildings leered at them as they traversed the sprawling street, filled with collapsed shelters and littered with chunks of cobble. Rusted old cars stood in a haphazard queue to the side. Tall grass that protruded between cracks in the ground rustled at their feet.

"We're far enough. Time to call them. When the robots come, don't attack them," said Lira in a soft voice. "The initial program was created to track missing students, but would retaliate with equal force if deliberately targeted, as a precaution against terrorists."