Chapter 29: Conflict in Candra

Michael's eyes were icy, his tone indifferent. "Daniel wanted to create specimens that service mankind. That's what you are doing: keeping us alive. We're just saving our own skin."

"We hoped there would be a symbiotic relationship," said Brian, hands in his pockets. Michael shot him a glare. "Well, some of us did. We're all trying to survive here. I don't think we need to keep shooting others down to achieve that."

"That's why you're an idiot, Brian!" Michael snapped.

"Dad..."

"Shut up, Sofia. These are insolent kids that have never seen a cane on their lives. It'll be good to whip some sense into them."

"We had a deal," said Lira to Jenny. "Our firepower in exchange for the cure. You couldn't give us the cure. You said you'd give us information regarding the cure if we secured you outposts."

"Which we did. I never knew for sure there was no cure. We'd lost contact with Paula for years, after all."

"Lying cow," muttered Rale. But these were dangerous people who would not hesitate to gun them all down to shut their mouths, even with Rale's blackmail as leverage.

"You guys were created because the virus outbreak meant our lives were in constant danger. Food, water, medication — we couldn't get to any of them without being ripped to shreds. You were our salvation. Daniel's huge breakthrough. At last, we weren't being hunted. We had protection, energy, light. Don't you see what saviours you were to us?" said Jenny. "We're just as helpless as those poor students in the infirmary. You can't abandon us now. Look at how much we've flourished since you arrived. Five outposts recovered. We got some of the generators running. The disinfecting system restarted because of Rale and now we have clean clothing and bedding for the sick."

Lira studied Jenny in that eerie way. It made Rale smug to see the older woman squirm in the same manner as the students under those eyes.

"Guilt tripping won't work on me. We're also saving our own skin here, after all. If there's no cure, there's nothing to gain. Our students will die; if that's an inevitability, there is no point in us continuing this... symbiotic relationship any longer."

"You're threatening a coup?" Jenny said in a quiet voice. Lira surveyed her.

"What a strange notion. I was merely suggesting we walk away."

"You'll never survive out there by yourself."

"The outcome is the same. We no longer have common goals."

"No, but we do have common enemies."

In spite of himself, Rale couldn't help but grin, intrigued by what was to come. They might not survive to see next week, but the conflict between two power giants — the Dancer and these Candra leaders — was far too entertaining.

"You have five minutes," said Lira.

"There is a terrorist group outside," said Jenny at length. Rale glanced at Sofia and Brian. Both of them appeared confused for a second before Michael's furious look turned into careful blankness. "They have an agenda against humans and genetically-modified humans alike. If you leave Candra, they will find you, and they will kill you."

Rale let out a chuckle. "Wait, where have I heard this before? Terrorist group threatening lives? Seizing control? Wait, did they also blow up power sources?"

"This group was partly responsible for the power outages I told you about, Rale," said Jenny in a grave tone. "The reason we have so many corrupt files wasn't all due to the creatures outside destroying generators. There was deliberate sabotage long before they came into play."