Chapter 24: Rale's Revelation

"Is everything okay?" Fris came hurrying over. "I heard the shouts from down the corridor! Is Mina...?"

Ari turned away, numb. Fris grabbed her elbow.

"Hey, talk to me!"

On shaking legs, Ari stumbled over to the nearest benches and collapsed on it. The bench squeaked and wobbled, but held.

"What happened?"

Staring blankly ahead, Ari told her. Fris's mouth turned into an 'o' shape. That was right — she didn't realise the truth behind March City, either.

"So she thinks you've been lying to her all this time?"

Ari nodded, mute.

"I can understand that, but..." Fris took Ari's hand, a frown on her freckled face. "That doesn't sound like the Mina I know. The Mina I know would want to hear all the sides of the story and think about it first, not accuse people and jump straight to conclusions. I think there's an element of the sickness playing on the paranoia, too."

"So if I get her the cure, this will go away? We can go back to where we were before?"

"Not necessarily, but... I think at least getting rid of the infection will make her mind clearer. More reasonable. This is a lot of distressing emotions, new information, and sickness combined." Fris laid a hand on Ari's shoulder. "It's not the real Mina."

"And even if all our memories were fake until she turned ten, these past two years were real. Our feelings are real. I won't cast that aside for any Central Administration. Even if our genes are different, she's still my sister." Ari's voice broke. "I don't care how she thinks I'm a liar and a cheat. I'll always love her as my little sister."

"She'll see that, with time."

"With the cure. Oh god, I wish she could see things my way. She doesn't know anything but is acting out so much. She has no idea what it's like out there. She doesn't think—"

"You shouldn't be so dismissive of Mina's concerns, Ari."

"I'm not, though."

"You are. She's worried and being left out. One day, Mina will have to make decisions for herself. You can't hover her all the time."

"I can and I will. She'll always need my help. She's weak, and I know better."

"Ari." Fris's voice held a warning. "Don't do anything rash."

Ari let out a hollow laugh. "Why? I have nothing to lose."

Fris's grip on her elbow tightened. "Seriously. I'll stand by you. I want Mina and the other children cured, too. But tearing headlong into battle is not the way to do it. I know you're hurting. I know it seems impossible right now, but we're on your side, too."

"Then all of you come with me to Deneve. Right now."

"We need equipment and men. If you run out right now, you'll be killed. Then you'll be no good for anybody."

Letting out a ragged breath, Ari buried her head in her hands. Her eyes remained dry, but her insides splintered.

"Look, shall we go find Rale? See what he's up to?"

"What do you mean?"

"He's always finding interesting stuff, so it wouldn't hurt to catch up with him."

Ari allowed herself to be dragged up to the computer suite. The secretive, darkened windows with swipe panels along the corridor reminded her of the Investigator department in Area Ten. To really hit home the nostalgia, Lira's tall, willowy figure strolled ahead, long dark hair swishing behind her. Mina's words rang in Ari's ear, but Ari forced herself to put it down to Mina's growing paranoia from the sickness.