Chapter 7: Descent to Rage

"Nero, Rank C, of Class 5C," said the boy Investigator, lowering his gun. Nero crouched, naked, the scent of burnt hairs and smoke wafting out onto the corridor. He threw himself at the metal bars again and bounced off with a growl. "He was the second person we isolated. He killed two students before we subdued him. That heat is something."

"I'll say," said Rale, leaning closer. The heat Nero emitted distorted his outline, making him appear fuzzy. His hair had burnt off. His eyes glowed eerily in the semi-darkness as he bared his teeth at them, launching himself again. Rale stepped back abruptly when Nero struck the bars once more.

"Luckily these are steel pipes, and his heat doesn't reach near the melting point," said Daae, concerned. "But it's miles hotter than in last year's grand exams. This is almost rank A level."

"This is what Mina will become?" said Ari, her mouth dry and her heart beating so fast it almost burst from her ribs. She thought of fragile Mina, too shy to even stand up for herself, becoming a monster like this. She wanted to vomit.

"Not necessarily. Nero seems to be in the final stage of the infection." Lira crossed her arms, her voice remaining soft. "The others aren't like this. We don't know how long they'll stay that way. They seem to progress at different rates. But we don't know what we're against or what's happening. We're vastly out of our depth here."

"Maybe not for long," came Rale's smug voice. There was a whirring sound followed by a click. In his hand was a tattered black box. Light shone onto his face from the screen before him, but nothing three-dimensional sprang up. It was a flat two-dimensional screen, and tiny. "Hm, the camera screen's not displaying. Have you got any—"

"Day three hundred and fifty-two," said a distorted voice from the camera. "Oh my god, this is insanity. Jessica and I got split up. Someone left the back door open and those things just rushed in. This might be my last entry. Right now—"

The playback stopped.

"'Those things'," said Lira, crossing her arms. "That would explain the lockdown in this place."

"I'm going to need more batteries, and a few electronic materials," said Rale, studying the inside of the old camera. "I might be able to extract more footage from this."

"We've mapped out this commercial district and some of the area surrounding it," said Daae. "There's an electronic equipment store on the fifth floor."

"Good. Fris, you take Rale up to that store and see if there's anything can be brought back and used. Ari, we're going out to salvage food and medicines. We're running low and we need to keep our remaining numbers safe."

"You're... coming with me?" said Ari in surprise. Daae appeared equally taken aback.

"Yes. I need to continue mapping out this area and this is the most efficient way. Something happened to this city and I need to find out what."

"But who'll be in charge whilst you're gone?" said Daae.

"You'll be," Lira replied. Daae winced but didn't object to his ex-superior. "You know what to do."

Lira handed Ari a map and circled where the areas had been split up. They were going to the south side.

"The students who have scattered across the city," said Ari, Mina's concerns occurring to her just then. "Is anyone...?"

"Looking for them? No. We have no ways of getting to them or knowing where they are, not until Rale shows up. The next two pairs that return will be sent to rescue them and bring them back."