Part 1

This is a rewrite of the original story, so if this looks new yet familiar, that's why.

Danny looked up from his coffee to see his roommate walk into the cafe. It was Dan's first time away from home, and Steve had was a dash of cold water to the face for a small town boy with a firm idea of how things were supposed to be. Dan's side of the room was decorated with a track and field theme. Steve's theme was soccer, only the players had their shirts off and stood in suggestive poses. In fact, Danny wasn't sure they were real soccer players at all. They were all perfect, like models.

Steve spied Danny and smiled. That smile went right to Dan's heart, and he glanced away. Steve's lips looked soft, too inviting. After Steve got his coffee, he wandered over to Danny's table. "Hey, s'up, Dan. Do you mind if I sit?"

Danny hesitated, then scolded himself; they more or less lived together, Danny was just going to have to get used to having that gorgeous slice of blond around. He gathered up his books and set them out of the way, "Sure. How's it going?"

Steve shrugged a shoulder and said, "It's going." Steve's golden hair was a little on the long side, with the fringe threatening to cover his eyes, blue eyes full of mirth, like he knew a delightful secret, and when he looked at Danny just then, Danny felt like he had been let in on it. His heart beat faster.

It made Danny's guts go all funny. He knew he felt a way about boys he shouldn't. He was also aware of the fact it was the 21st Century, and not everyone felt the way his religious community did. He had never met anyone like Steve before, someone who just wore it on their lapel. Literally, Steve had a tiny rainbow button pinned to his jacket. Danny stared at it, and it wasn't until Steve was halfway through his sentence that Danny realized he was speaking.

"I'm sorry, what?" he said.

Steve glanced down at his pin and his lips twitched. "No problem. I was just asking if you're going to the game this Saturday? There's going to be a pregame tailgate party. You should come."

Danny swallowed and said, "Um, I don't have a truck." He didn't even have a car, just a ten-speed bike.

Steve grinned, flashing pearly white teeth. "Don't worry about it. My brother's doing the grilling. Just show up with a few two-liters of coke, North Gate, three hours before kickoff."

Danny didn't want to be rude, and he wanted to spend more time around Steve despite himself, so he said with a nervous smile. "Sure, I'll be there." Hey, his dad had told him to meet new people and make friends. He just didn't think his dad had people like Steve in mind.

Looking at those bright blue eyes again, Danny couldn't think of anyone else he'd rather go with.