Chapter 5

He ran. He ran and ran and ran, not caring about where his legs were taking him.

If only it were this easy. If only you could just run away from your problems, leave them far, far behind. But you couldn't. They stick to you like sticky gum on a hot summers day, pestering away at you and and leaving a lingering feeling of anxiety and uneasiness in your stomach, ruining your day despite any attempts to enlighten it.

He didn't care. He just wanted away, away from the guild, from society. His curiosity kept nagging at him: what was that dream all about?

His lungs felt like they were on fire and his legs ached. He finally settled on resting against the trunk of a big tree, its leaves looming over him as he was engulfed in its cool shade.

He took a moment to catch his breath, watching as hummingbirds zoomed here and there collecting nectar from colorful plants. The nearby bank's water shimmered under the sunlight and a refreshing breeze swept by, giving Natsu an essence of calm.

As Natsu became more tranquil he started to actually mull over his recent dream at the guild. He had called Zeref, the darkest most vile wizard known to mankind, his brother.

'This doesn't make any sense'

He had then been a witness of his own death, and then all this chaos. Fire erupting as buildings were smothered is ash and came toppling over. Children and mothers were hysterical and everyone was in a state of panic. And then...

There was that figure. Natsu assumed it to be a guy based on his cold, cruel laugh and the outline of his figure.

Natsu sighed. And there was so much blood, too...

"Natsu?" The voice spoke directly from next to him. Natsu jumped, but, thanks to his incredible clumsiness, toppled over a tree root and was sent toppling over and fell...

Into the water.

Natsu swam up to the glistening surface and broke through, gulping and gasping for air only to be met with a familiar laugh.

Gray.

He was bent over laughing, Tears prickling at the edges of his midnight blue eyes.

"G-gray!" Natsu bellowed out.

"I'm-aha- I-I'm s-sorry!" Gray managed to wheeze out in between his laughter.

"It isn't funny!" This only resulted in Gray laughing harder.

Gray's laughs finally died down until he was only left with a red face, tear filled eyes, and soft chuckles emitting from his mouth.
He wiped at his eyes and sighed contently.

Natsu 'humphed' and sat back down, no longer dripping wet due to his fire magic that he used to the best of his ability to dry himself.

"What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I was thinking."

"About?"

It was happening again. It was like his body was acting on it's own accord, and the truth came winding itself out. He made a note to self to ask Levy about this later.

"My dream. At the guild."

"Care to tell me about it?"

Again, it happened. It kept getting harder to control.

" It all happened in 3rd person. I'd say I was about 5, and Zeref was ab-"

"Zeref?"

"Yeah. Weird, right? Anyways, he was about 13 or 14. He sat under a tree, reading a book as I came running towards him and he got up to chase me. It all happened so fast..."

"What happened next?"

"I wasn't looking in the direction I was running and a car hit me. Zeref screamed and screamed and screamed..."

"And then it morphed into another scenario. It was completely and utterly chaotic. Buildings on fire, everyone all panicky. But one thing stood out. A black figure. I couldn't make out their face or any part of their identity at all, I only heard his cruel laughter which made me assume he was a guy, because his outline didn't really resemble a girl's, you know? And his laugh Didn't sound like it would belong to a girl, either."

Gray was taken aback. He never expected for Natsu to actually tell him about his dream. He thought he would say "its none of your business" or "It doesn't concern you", him being the stubborn prick he was.

He tried to comprehend what Natsu had told him and didn't take notice of Natsu slowly moving towards him.

He was especially taken aback when Natsu and himself were only within 5 inches of each other. He could make out every feature; Natsu's forest green eyes and his smooth tan skin, and the way his salmon/pink hair got in his face and covered his right eye partially. In other words, he was beautiful.

They were so close now he could feel Natsu's breath on his own lips. Just as Gray was going to lean in further and close the remaining gap-

Snap

"Shit."

The two came back to their senses and turned there heads so fast it was all a blur.

"Lucy!" Someone whisper shouted.

"Gomenasai..."

"Damn It, they were about to kiss."

Gray and Natsu were dumbstruck.

Natsu stiffed the air and immediately grew irritated.

He sighed. "Lucy, Levy, and Mira. I know you're there."

All three girls sheepishly revealed them selves from their hiding spot.
And Mira was holding a camera.

Natsu pinched the bridge of his nose. They really were desperate.

He over heard them talking about it once. Gratsu or whatever it was. He heard Mira say it was their 'ship name'.

An awkward silence fell over the 5 teens as they each tried to avoid one another's gaze.

"um..." Lucy laughed nervously while rubbing the back of her neck.

"Why did you guys follow me hear?" Natsu asked.

"Oh," Gray started, "yes, you suddenly sit up, nearly knocking yourself backwards, look horror struck and on the verge of tears, and run out of the guild. Cause that's what totally ok and unconcerning."

"Well, I'm fine now, I guess I'll be on my way-"
"No you won't," Gray grabbed Natsu's wrist preventing him from walking any further. "you're going to stay here and tell us what's wrong, then you can be on your way."

Natsu tried to cover up a wince with a cough. Unfortunately, Gray noticed.

He's grabbed that wrist.

"Natsu, what..."

A horrible realization as to why he winced hit Gray like an oncoming truck.

Without thinking, he rashly pulled up Natsu's jacket sleeve.

He wished he hadn't.

It was worse than just cuts.