Chapter Six

Patton sighed as he looked into his fridge. "We're out of milk, too?"

"I can go to the grocery store." Logan offered from where he was in the living room, sitting on the couch with his feet perched on the table, holding a book in his hands.

"No, I'll go." Patton said. "No offense sweetheart, but you don't buy anything good."

"If by 'good', you mean 'unhealthy', then I would say that's pretty accurate." Logan said.

"But Logan, cookies!" Patton protested.

"Do you really need them?" Logan asked.

Patton nodded. "Of course! Cookies are my life force, Logan!"

"Actually, realistically speaking, you will live just fine without cookies. What your body needs is the nutrients found in food—"

"I'm getting cookies." Patton announced, grabbing his keys.

"Suit yourself." Logan shrugged, and returned to his book.

On the way to the store, Patton made a mental list of all the things he needed.

Milk,
Tea for Logan,
Cookies,
Bread,
Bananas,
Jam,
Butter,
Trail mix,
Chips...

Patton blinked. What else did he need? Stuff for dinners?

He pulled into the grocery store parking lot and parked his car. It was a hot summer day, in Florida no less, and so Patton was relieved when he got inside the air-conditioned store. He grabbed a cart and wandered down the isles, searching.

He didn't have trouble finding the things he needed. When he got to the jam section, he grabbed a jar of Crofter's, because ever since the joke with his brother, he had actually really liked the brand.

"Patton Sanders? Is that you?"

Patton spun around to see a man who looked familiar, and instantly loads of memories came flooding back to him.

"Jonathan?" Patton blinked.

"Yeah buddy, it's been years." Jonathan said.

"I can't believe it's you! Wow, it really has been too long." Patton grinned.

They hugged each other for old times' sake.

"How's life been treating you?" Jonathan asked.

"It's been great, actually. I'm married and I own my own daycare now." Patton said.

"Wow, really?" Jonathan said. "Who's the special someone?"

"Logan, actually—"

"No way, Logan Greene from freshman year?" Jonathan gaped.

Patton nodded. "That's the one."

"I never would have seen you two together. You're practically polar opposites. Like that left and right brain shit you learn about, where one represents logic and the other emotions? That's essentially you and Logan." Jonathan said.

Patton shrugged. "Opposites attract."

"What about Logan's roommate, that Virgil guy? You still friends with him?"

"Yup!" Patton nodded.

"He still friends with Logan?"

"Oh, yeah. They're like brothers. You couldn't separate those two if you tried."

Jonathan laughed. "They were that way in college, too. Heck, I would've sworn they were related until I heard that rumor about Virgil's family."

Patton froze. "What rumor?"