Dropped Off

"Where am I going, Janis?" I ask my step-mother.

"You're going away." She responds.

"Are you going to kill me?" I ask her, fear lacing my words.

"No! You are going to Hank's for a bit, just while me and your dad figure out some details."

"What details? The details that you are nothing but a cheater, and a liar."

"Shut your mouth young lady! You never saw anything, and if you even open up your mouth about what you "didn't" see, I will make sure you are sent to military school." 

"You wouldn't!" 

"I will, so watch it. We're almost there."

"Does dad know, or does Hank even know, I'm being dropped off? You know he has a new family now." 

"Hank knows, he talked to his wife and she said yes, and your father, he thinks that you are going to your friends house while me and your dad are at your grandmothers home. Don't tell him any different." 

"Yes ma'am." I say as we pull up in the drive way.

We get out of the car, and walk towards the door, and knock. 

"Hey! Jewel, you've grown, come here and give me a hug." Hank request, and I gladly give him his hug. 

"I missed you!" I say.

"And I missed you. Janis I thought George was going to drop her off?" He asks the witch.

"Yeah, he wasn't feeling to good so I told him to rest for the flight, and I took her."

"Tell him, I hope he feels better and to call me when he feels up to it."

"That's great! I will! Anyways, Julia has everything she needs, including all forms of ID, just in case, 3 grand, and some HW from school." 

"Great, let me get the wife, and we can all meet..."

"Oh no Hank, it's alright, I need to get back to George so I can bring him some stuff to get better, maybe when I pick her up. Bye." Janis says walking away, and driving out of the driveway.

"You know I love your father, but that woman drives me up a wall." Hank says closing the front door and leading me towards, what I assume to be the dining room, where I see two people seated. A beautiful woman, who I assume to be his wife, and a handsome boy that has to be his step-son. 

"Your telling me." I say with a chuckle. 

"Jewel, I want you to meet my family. That is my wife Liz, and my son, Sean." 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Julia, but Hanks calls me Jewel." I say shaking hands with Liz, and a hesitant Sean.

"It's nice to meet you too, Julia. Right Sean?" 

"Yep, real nice." He answers looking down to his food.

"Anyways, let me show you your room, I hope you like it." Liz says grabbing my hand, then stopping to tell the boys to clean up, and then resuming the trek up the stairs, to the guest bedroom. 

"Thank you so much! It's so nice in here!" I say in awe.

"Your Welcome, sweetie. We're going to bed, so when you're ready just get ready for bed, you have your own bathroom in here. Goodnight." 

"Goodnight." 

After Liz walks out, in come Hank, who sits on the bed, and I sit next to him while he wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"You know, I know better than to not know that there isn't something going on at home. You can trust me, or Liz, I promise." Hank says, making tears start to run down my face.

"It's Janis, I think she's cheating on dad, but he is trying to take Grandma's so I can't call him. And even if I could, she could send me to military school, if he doesn't believe me, like he usually does." I spill.

"Sweetie! How about this, when your dad gets home, we will tell him together." 

I nod in response, feeling a sense of relief come over me, although knowing it won't be easy, but it seems better than facing my dad, and Janis alone.

"Alright Jewel, let's get to bed, we have a lot to do tomorrow. Goodnight sweetie."

"Goodnight, Hank." 

After he left and shut the door, I go ahead and take a shower, and go to sleep hoping to have a better day tomorrow.