Chapter 11

"What's going on Rhea?" Otto asked, sitting in the same chair that Eli had earlier.

"Well, right now I'm working on balancing the impossible situation that is my parents bank account." She knew it wasn't what he meant but she hoped to distract him.

His stare was hard. "That's not what I meant Rhea, and you know it."

"Then why don't you tell me specifically what you meant?"

"Why was Elias Emory here?"

"That's none of your business Otto," she countered as she leaned back in her chair, sipping at the glass of tea that she had next to her in attempt to look relaxed.

His face grew serious. "Did you, or are you having an affair with Mason Stevens?" His abrupt question caught her off guard and she started coughing on the tea that was in her mouth. She had expected him to question her about Eli not Mason.

"Why would you think that?" she asked, truly perplexed.

"The other morning in the kitchen, he said it was like old times, implying that you two knew each other, and last night you two looked awful cozy while his wife and Eli were singing."

"Cozy?" she was mystified that he would think such a thing.

"He had his arm around your shoulders and you were leaning against him. You don't do that with someone you've only just met."

Rhea was silent, she had misjudged Otto's observation skills and she shouldn't have. If he thought it...

"Who else thinks this?" She jumped up from her chair and started to pace. She had been so determined to keep everyone from suspecting her feelings for Eli that she hadn't been paying attention to how friendly she was with Mason. If she had to admit to knowing one she would have to admit to knowing both; unless she could play it off as no big deal.

"Phoebe, and your mother have noticed it, and I might have mentioned it to Lola." He shrugged.

As if she had been waiting for her cue, Lola breezed into the office without knocking.

"Hey guys!" She closed the door behind her and flung herself on the couch behind Otto, completely unaware of the undercurrent of tension just as Otto had been earlier, but now Rhea knew better, he had picked up on the tension between her and Eli and she would have to be more careful.

"Rhea, I thought I would come stay at your place for a few days," Lola announced.

Rhea couldn't help but think that it was to get closer to Eli. "Sorry Lola, Mr. Emory has rented the entire house. I can't give you a room."

She frowned but after a moment it turned into a smile. "I'll ask Eli, he'll agree." She sounded so sure of herself, Rhea wished she was that sure. The man had told her he loved her and she still doubted it.

Otto was still looking at Rhea waiting for an answer and Lola was finally picking up on the undercurrent running through the room.

"What am I missing?" she asked, leaning forward, looking from one to the other.

"I was asking Rhea what was going on between her and Mason Stevens." Otto informed her.

"Are you still on that?" Lola sounded exasperated as she leaned back on the sofa. "There is no way that Rhea is having an affair with Mason, that would be as ridiculous as saying she was having an affair with Eli."

"Maybe I am having an affair with Eli!" Rhea suggested.

Lola laughed. "Rhea, you would never have an affair with a married man, which rules Mason out, and Eli, well, Eli would scare you."