Chapter 15

"You heard most of that conversation, didn't you?" Mason asked, as he pulled Lola into the living room.

Eli turned from watching Rhea through the window to look at her friend.

"So did you!" She pulled her arm away defensively, looking over at Eli who was watching them with a guarded expression.

"No, I heard their voices and went back upstairs, only returning when I heard the ferry's horn. I wanted to check on my friend, knowing that their conversation would be finished because Rhea would be leaving to pick up Aion." He nodded his head in Eli's direction and the direction of the window.

"At what point did you start eavesdropping?" Eli asked, his voice like steel as he realized that a very private moment had been overheard by someone he didn't trust.

"The part about you talking in circles and wanting to be friends." Lola admitted.

 Eli prayed she was telling the truth, there were some very private things said in the beginning of his and Sunny's conversation that he would hate to have known by anyone other than Sunny.

"But she is Sunny, Rhea is Sunny?" Lola asked excitedly.

"Yes, but she doesn't know about the mystery that has grown up around her name over the years," Eli said. "Somehow she has missed that little bit of common knowledge, and I only want her to know about it when she's ready, when I'm ready."

Lola looked from Eli to Mason and back to Eli, her eyes wide. "How, when, I don't understand, she said last night that you loved her and that she left you..."

"All true." Eli confirmed. He realized he had to get Lola on his side otherwise he would completely lose control of the situation. "The how and when aren't important, what is important is that I had no clue she would be here when I came a few weeks ago and it is fate lending me a hand at winning her back, I ask you Lola, will you help me by acting as if none of this ever happened?"

Lola looked at him, unsure of what to do.

"Please give me time?" he asked, turning on every ounce of charm he possessed as he smiled at her. He watched her change as she smiled and nodded. "Thank you."

"I love Rhea and I only want to see her happy. I can't believe that she's your Sunny." Lola agreed, seemingly happy to be part of the secret.

"Yes, I believe you said something similar in the kitchen this morning." It was a risky dig and he saw Mason wince as he said it.

Lola's face turned red and he watched the guilt return when she remembered the scene from earlier that morning and how much she had hurt Sunny, it started to take on a completely new meaning to her and she looked away from both men, ashamed.

"Just out of curiosity, why do you think I wouldn't be interested in Rhea?"

"It's not that!" Lola protested, "Well, not exactly that, part of it was, but another part was that I didn't believe that she would walk away from you, I mean what woman would?"

"I've had plenty of women walk away from me Lola, I'm a flawed man, but the difference this time is that I want Rhea and I have wanted her for a very long time, and I don't want you or anyone to ruin this chance for either of us."

Lola nodded, not quite believing him when he said he was flawed. It only highlighted the difference between Sunny and every other woman. Sunny saw him, flaws and all, she didn't believe that he was perfect.

"But I ask you again, why wouldn't I want Rhea?"

Lola shrugged. "She's shy and not as glamorous as some of the other women that you've been with. She's Rhea." Lola finished lamely.

"Exactly, she's Rhea." Eli said softly, contradicting her with her own argument.

Lola nodded and started for the door.

"Lola, I mean it, you can't tell anyone, no press, no friends, not even Otto. You risk Rhea's happiness, if this gets out she won't want anything to do with me no matter how much she loves me." Eli pleaded with her once more.

Lola took in his and Mason's serious expressions, nodding. "You know, I really am sorry for this morning. I love Rhea, she was there for me when no one else was and I would do anything for her. This morning was...I was worried and a little panicked that she was going to get hurt." She looked at Eli, her stare hard. "Promise me you won't hurt her."

"I promise you that I will do all that I can to make sure that she never gets hurt again, I love her."

"How do I know she's not a novelty that won't wear off in a year or two?"

"It's been six years and my feelings have only gotten stronger."

Lola nodded, her eyes narrowing in thought. "Rhea has avoided anything having to do with the tabloids or pop culture since she returned from L.A, she said she had enough of the movie stars when she lived there. I'm guessing that she was avoiding anything and everything about you. That would explain why she never heard about the Sunny mystery, that coupled with the lack of internet here at the inn."

Eli nodded, thanking her wordlessly for the explanation.

She nodded and turned on her heel, leaving Eli and Mason alone.

Mason joined Eli at the window and watched as Sunny and Aion walked up the path from the boat together, holding hands and stopping to look at something on the ground that caught Aion's interest.

"Do you think she'll keep it a secret?" Mason asked softly.

Eli shrugged. "I pray that she does, but if she doesn't I'll deal with it."

He turned to look at his friend. "I'm not going to let her go this time Mason. If I have to rent a room here for the rest of my life I will."

Mason clapped his friend on the back. "Cassie and I will do all we can to help."

"How?"

"Maybe if we get all touchy feely it will give Sunny ideas?"

"You just want an excuse to feel up your wife in public." Eli laughed as Sunny entered the hallway. He laughed partly at the joke but also because he realized that he was done playing. She would be his.

She looked over at him and flushed at his knowing smile.

"Sure, and I like it when she gets all flustered and embarrassed. It makes my day." Mason agreed with a grin in return. He followed his friend's gaze and noted Sunny's flushed face.

"And it appears as if you are also finding out about the joys of a flustered woman."

Eli's grin widened as he watched Sunny scurry off in the direction of the kitchen. "Yes my friend, I am," he agreed as he sat at the piano and started to play Sunny's song.

Soon she would be in his arms and just as flustered, and he was looking forward to it.