Chapter 20

Rhea awoke to a warm arm draped over her waist and Eli's warm body next to hers. He had simply held her through the night and it had been wonderful. He hadn't seduced her as promised and she wasn't sure if she was glad or not. There were too many walls between them and making love would have only confused her more, and Eli had sensed that.

He must have felt her move because he pulled her closer, snuggling against her.

"I have to get up Eli." She wasn't sure what time it was but by the way the light was shining into the room it was already much later than the usual time that she started her day. She was thankful that it was Saturday so there was no need to rush to get Aion off to school.

She tried to pull away from him but he wouldn't let her go. "Eli," she begged. She didn't want to leave but she had to get everyone's breakfast.

"Stay here, let them all take care of themselves for a change," he muttered into her neck and she felt goosebumps cover her flesh. "Let's spend the day together, go somewhere where we can be by ourselves, the old church," he suggested.

Rhea really did sit up at that, moving to the edge of the bed and running her hands through her hair, trying to tidy it.

"I don't think that is a good idea Eli, it would only confuse things."

He sighed wearily as he sat up behind her. "How Sunny, how will it confuse things?"

She looked at him as he watched her, his face serious.

"It just will," she insisted. She still hadn't changed her mind about letting him go, she had to.

"That's no longer good enough, I need to know why, unless I know why and understand why you don't want me, I'm staying here indefinitely."

Her eyes grew wide in fear. "What do you mean, indefinitely?"

"I mean that this is an inn and I will make it my permanent residence so that I can stay here with you."

Rhea was completely shocked that he would even contemplate such a thing.

"I love you Sunny, I'm not going anywhere unless there is a very good reason, so out with it. If you want me gone now is the time."

"I don't want you gone!" she denied, jumping up from the bed. "I want you more than...it's just...I can't..." Her words were a confused as her thoughts.

He waited while she tired to sort them all out. She should tell him the truth, it was the only way to settle it once and for all. They could go back and forth with the 'I love yous' which were marvelous to hear, but they weren't solving anything. There was no future for them and the only way to prove that to him was to tell him the truth.

"I had to leave you that day," she whispered, realizing that it was going to be much harder to say than she ever thought possible.

"Why," he asked gently as he watched her move to look out the window.

"At the church you said that everyone wanted something from you, some were obvious but others were more cunning, do you remember that?"

He nodded, looking like he wanted to say something but he didn't, and she watched as his eyes grew wary.

"You said that you trusted me and that means a lot."

"Are you saying I shouldn't trust you?" His voice was rough as he choked out the words.

"No, you can trust me, I don't want you for any other reason other then you."

"Then I don't see a problem."