5. Reawaken

Tatsumi's POV

How would I explain this to her? With a stuttering voice I told her about the promise and what had happened to me afterwards. When Esdeath shattered both of us in the block of ice, I woke up on the cold floor in an apartment in the capital and had Najenda take care of me until Akame received the message about me. I looked over to Akame, she was looking grateful, her look telling me she was happy to see me.

"I'm so glad that you kept that promise." she beamed. I grinned in response.

Third person POV

Later that day Tatsumi sat comfortably in a seat in that home reading a book, when he noticed Akame opening the door whilst carrying a backpack. "Where are you going?" he asked. Akame just quickly shut the door behind her. Tatsumi got up and started following her outside the apartment. He shouted while she was halfway down the stairs. "I said, where are you going?" he asked again, his voice getting more aggressive. When Akame wouldn't stop, he grabbed her by the wrist and made her look him in the eyes. With a shameful expression she lied. "I was... just going out to eat." Inside, Tatsumi knew she was lying, but let it slide as they had just met and he didn't want to be rude.

He made his way back upstairs, and without lifting his eyes from the book he heard Akame get inside as well. He didn't think much of this strange behaviour at first. So he let it slide.

When the sun was about to set, Tatsumi went for a little walk when he noticed a person sitting by the cliff. When he approached, he noticed it was Akame, kneeling in the grass. He took a seat beside Akame which made her jump a bit. "Oh, it's you." she muttered. The mild breeze blew the hair from both of our faces.

"Hey, Akame. What were you really doing earlier? When you were heading outside?" Tatsumi asked curiously. She clearly didn't want to answer that. It took a minute or two before she admitted.

"I was..." she began with a whisper. "Looking for the others."

"Looking for the others? You mean Night Raid? Akame... you know they're dead." It hurt to say that, but it really was the truth. They'd been dead for years and they both knew that.

"I know that! But after hearing how you were alive I couldn't help but have a little bit of hope. Tatsumi, you're all I have. I don't know what's real or not anymore. Please help me." Akame leaned closer and buried her face in his shoulder with a tight embrace.

After that, they both laid close to eachother in the field of daisies by the cliff, while staring up, watching as the sun hid behind the horizon, the colourful reflections of the sun colouring the sky and then slowly disappearing with the day.

With a smile on both their faces, they closed their eyes and drifted off. It was pure. The moment was pure, and they both wanted it to last forever. Every last bit of that moment meant something. Every second counted, because Tatsumi knew that it wouldn't last forever.