01.

UNO

GEMMA ARRIVED HOME WITH A HOPELESS SIGH, this wasn't normal for her. She'd normally go out with her co-workers for a beer or something, but today she no longer had any coworkers.

The girl lost her job, and no it wasn't her fault. You could say she quit in a way, but she had no choice necessarily and thats why she felt lost.

Placing her mail onto the small kitchen table in her studio apartment, she shuffled through the countless bills until stumbling upon one piece of mail with a duck stamp.

She instantly recognized the decal from her childhood. "Lyle.." She tested the word out on her tongue, she hasn't said his name in over four years, that didn't stop her thoughts from thinking of the boy she longed for.

Thomas Bauer, was written on the envelope, it only confirmed her suspicions. Her best friend, sent her mail, after so many years of no contact.

She haphazardly tore through the paper and inside was a card stock piece of paper. As Gemma began reading it, she gasped in shock, covering her mouth with her palm.

"No.." She muttered into her hand. It was a wedding invitation. More importantly to Lyles wedding. Her heart has only now been repairing itself from her unrequited love. And now this was just a sting in the gut, or heart.

The concept was impossible for Gemma to believe. She was denying it, denying the fact that her best friend, the person she carelessly fell in love with, is getting married.

The familiar ring of her phone grabbed Gemma out of her thoughts.

She held the phone up to her ear and it was only when she greeted a 'hello' that she realized she was crying.

"Shit." She mumbled and hurried to wipe the fallen tears.

"Hello?" The voice on the other line chuckled.

"Mom?" Gemma replied, holding her emotions in.

"Yes, hon, it's me. Did you get it?" Her mother, Joan, asked, something with sadness in her voice. Gemma could almost see the frown that strung her mothers face.

"Get what?" She played dumb.

"Don't be coy, Gem." Her mother could read her like a magazine.

She sighed, "Yes, ma. If you're talking about the invitation that is."

Her mother hummed a yes in response. "I'm so sorry honey. If it helps I can invite some of my friends from Vegas to crash that bit-"

"No! Mom, no. That.. no that's okay." Gemma shook her head.

"Alright, let me know if you change your mind though, cus' I can probably get some male strippers-"

"Mom."

"Hmm?"

"I'm okay."

A long pause followed after Gemmas statement. It was obvious Joan did not believe her daughters words, but she also knew Gemma only talked when she was ready to talk.

"Okay. I love you. Just thought I'd let you know."

Gemma couldn't help the smirk twitch on her lips. "I love you too ma."

Joan-Suzanne Flores was one of the most reliable and loyal mothers out there. She may not be able to provide her daughter with everything but she sure enough strode to go beyond her best, and Gemma will be forever thankful.

"Mom, something happened." Gemma said after another silenced pause, but this time it was a comfortable one.

"Uh-oh. What is it?"

"My boss. Henry. He asked me to- He wanted me to do things mom. Y'know..things I weren't comfortable doing with my new boss.."

"WHAT!?" Gemma flinched at her mothers screech.

"He fired me because I said no." Gemma replied sternly.

"No. That's not right. I won't allow that. He won't get away with that sweetie. We ca- I'll tell the police he came on to you, and he'll be in jail or something- I don't know but we'll get your job back! I promise." Joan replied with confident words but nothing short of rambling and hatred boiling inside of the mama bear.

"Mom, no. He threatened me. Said they wouldn't believe me. 'A little girl versus a successful trustworthy lawyer. Good luck kid' That's what he said mom. They'll just laugh at me and tell me to grow up, that I'm an attention seeker child who doesn't know better." She scoffed, following a humorless chuckle.

"Why do you believe him, huh?" Joan began. "A snake like him will say anything for you to do what he wants."

"I know. He is a snake and one day he'll get his karma. Just not from me. I just want to forget about it, ma please." Gemma begged.

Another long pause. This one was reserved for her mom to think. Deeply think.

"I only want you to be happy. You wanted this job for so long."

"Yeah, the funny part is, is that I wanted the job to learn from the Henry Slavic. What a disappointment."

"Oh! Your brother is calling honey. He has a flat tire and he promised me he'd call me back once the tow truck arrived. I'll see you soon, right? For the wedding?"

"Y-yeah. Of course. Soon. I love you ma." Gemma hung up after one more last goodbye, and tossed her phone onto her kitchen counter.

Gemma then walked over to her couch. She sat slowly, grabbed a throw pillow, shoved it in her face and screamed.

She was nowhere near ready to see the man she once loved.

Still loved.

...

Once Gemma was able to control her emotions, she quickly took a bath, with champagne. While listening to old country music because it always made her feel better about herself for some reason. After that, she changed into her pajamas and decided the day was over for her.

Gemma piled together a few of her carry on items in her bag for the trip home to the wedding. She glanced at her reflection in the bathroom mirror and sighed. "Get yourself together, Gemma." She told herself in a reprimanding voice.

Another voice in her head told her not to beat herself up too much. It was a constant war inside Gemma's mind whenever she faced conflict, which was mostly everyday.

With a flick of the bathroom lights, Gemma declared that the end of her day. And when she fell back onto her bed, her king sized that served only one, she realized how lonely she's actually been those past few years.