18.

DICIOTTO

GEMMA WIGGLED THROUGH HER TOP JUST AS HE ENTERED HER ROOM. He didn't bother to knock and that confused Gemma. It was odd because they haven't known each other that long, yet he still waltzed into her room without much of a knock.

"River! You forget your manners or something?" She croaked with a frown.

He snickered quietly, "Sorry, I guess I forgot." He shrugged. His eyebrows coming together, he also didn't know why it came so easy for him to just walk into Gemma's room without any thought.

Gemma sighed, sitting on her bed. River walked to stand in front of her but didn't sit down.

"You okay?" He softly whispered, and Gemma had to avert her eyes from him because it was impossible to watch him. He held so much pity in his expression and she didn't want that. She didn't want people to feel bad for her, especially River.

"Why do you ask?" She scoffed, rubbing her hand through her hair. "Do I look that terrible?"

"What? No, no. Gemma, no. You could never look terrible." He declared with widened eyes. His legs were shaking out of nervousness so he opted to sit down next to her. He inhaled and exhaled and he could of sworn Gemma could hear his heart beating, it felt so heavy and loud. "I just...you just don't seem like your usual self is all. You almost seem paranoid." He informed, squinting his eyes up at the girl.

Gemma tore her gaze away from her hands and in the corner of eye to River. She sighed contently.

"I'm fine, I swear. You don't have to worry about me."

He grinned, "Easier said than down."

She chuckled shortly, leaning into him a bit. She rested her hand on his arm. He breathed in but when he felt her heart beating through her body, he sighed in relief. He wrapped his arm around her and stroke her hair with his free hand.

"Remember when you were a dick."

"Uh, no. I was never a dick."

She laughed. "Okay big guy. Whatever you say."

He smirked but it soon turned into a smile. A genuine smile. It was an idiotic smile but no matter how hard he bit down on his cheeks, he couldn't stop himself from smiling. She made him smile and he didn't know if he was okay with that. Because to him, it was only Gemma, but to her, it was him and Lyle.

"I think everyone in this house hates me." She groaned, thinking out-loud with her eyes closed. His laughter caused his body to shake and Gemma felt him as he did so. She snuggled herself closer into him.

"Well, you're wrong there, Gemmy." He spoke softly into her hair.

"That so?" She asked, grinning widely with her eyes still shut.

"Mmhm." He nodded and kissed the top of her head.

. . . . .

Later that evening the two were still cooped up in Gemma's room, now though, they were spread out on the bed, laying down, both under the sheets and watching Netflix on her laptop.

When the episode of The Office came to an end, River glanced over his shoulder at Gemma. She was laughing still with such happiness only Micheal Scott can provide. He was a little jealous. Pathetic, really. He was jealous of a fictional character, nice.

Gemma could feel eyes on her so looked back at him. She laughed, "What?"

"Nothing." He shook his head and smiled. Gemma huffed but smiled in return nonetheless. She leaned back against his chest and they continued into the next episode. It was nice. Gemma hasn't been this happy in a while and it was a feeling she did not want to let go of.