21.

VENTUNO

GEMMA DRAGGED RIVER OUTSIDE TO THE GARDEN WHERE THE BENCHES WERE. She sat down first and gestured for him to sit next to her. He hesitated but soon obliged.

"What did you want to talk about?" He asked, furrowing his brows.

"River..do you trust me?"

"Yeah. Of course I do."

"I'm about to say something, accuse you of something. Trust me that I find it very hard to believe that you did this, but it's because of this revelation that I was drunk last night."

"Okay...what is it?" He asked, standing up himself.

She exhaled. "Lauren told me that you told her I have feelings for Lyle." She cringed at the fact she sounded like a gossiping teenager.

"Are you- damnit! Gemma no! I know I teased you at first but I would never..." He sighed, grabbing ahold of Gemma's hand. "You can trust me too, Gemma. Okay?"

Gemma let out a sigh of relief, tightening her grip on Rivers hand. "Yeah..yeah. Okay." She nodded.

"I have to go..yell at my sister."

"River..."

"Yeah?" He asked, releasing her hand and walking backwards towards the house.

"The weddings tomorrow."

"I know."

"I'm scared."

"I know."

- - - -

Gemma pulled her hair up in a careless ponytail as she made her way to the staircase, wanting nothing more than for sleep to overcome her. The ibuprofen was making her quite drowsy and she was surprisingly glad at the matter.

Just as her hand was placed on the staircase railing, a hand wrapped around her wrists and her eyes caught sight of long jet black hair.

Lauren.

Gemma sighed, internally wishing she would turn invisible.

"What is it?" Gemma asked, yanking her hand out of Lauren's grip.

"You told River, you idiot! What is wrong with you?" Lauren exclaimed loudly.

Gemma scoffed, narrowing her eyes, "Of course, I told him. You think you can just accuse him of something and think he's not going to find out?!" She chuckled humorlessly.

"Well, now, thanks to you, he's mad at me."

"He has a right to be mad at you. And that is no thanks to me, you did that all on your own." Gemma informed in a quiet voice, shaking her head at the girl disapprovingly.

Lauren's brows dip down, her jaw clenches and Gemma wants her to hit her. She wants the girls fists to clash with her cheek, she wants it to bruise. She wants Lyle to see what kind of person Lauren really is. Instead, Lauren takes a few deepbreaths with her eyes closed, silence encasing the hall.

Lauren's eyes open and they seem darker than usual. Scary almost. Intense.

"I'll tell you one more fucking time. Stay away from my brother."

"He's not your property, Lauren. Neither am I. We're adults and we don't take orders from you. That's Lyle." She spat out, boiling.

"This is my house though and while you stay here, I am your boss. Get that?" Lauren stated venomously, her teeth gritting as she did.

Gemma scowls in response. "Not really, Lauren. This is your parents house. You're just too dependent to realize that you're old enough to live on your own."

"I deserve some respect, Gemmy. It is my wedding you will be attending after all. That is the only reason you are here. Not to get in Rivers pants." Lauren clarified, folding her arms.

Gemma rolls her eyes, running a hand over her face. Frustration and tiredness coursing through her. "Just leave me alone." She breathes out, her eyelids growing heavy.

"Stay away from River or I'll tell Thomas how you feel about him." She threatened with an emotionless glare.

Without much thought Gemma screams at the girl,

"Then I'll tell him that you don't like dick!"

A shocked expression flashes over Lauren's face for a brief small second before a raspy grunt escapes her lips, attempting to compose herself.

"What're you even talking about?" Her eyes blazed with worry but her mouth and eyebrows were contorted into nothing other than anger.

"God, I did not want to do this but damnit!" She cursed, guilt running up her bloodstreams. "I know that you are a lesbian and that you don't actually love Lyle. I know."

Lauren scoffed, "You're insane to even conjure up something so absurd." She clicked her tongue and turned her head slightly away from Gemma, rubbing her temples in deep thought within herself.

Gemma sighed, folding her bottom lip into her mouth.

"Inaya told me about you two. Don't deny it, Lauren. It's over." A poker face settled on Gemma's face as she thought of how much pain Lauren has caused in such little time.

Lauren's eyes crinkled into a menace look. She turned her face towards Gemma, stomping forcefully closer to the girl, only inches apart, two pairs of eyes piercing through each set. Begging for remorse from each side deep down.

"Stay the hell away from River. And Lyle." She exasperates, cheeks blowing out, nose flaring.
"Don't bother coming to the wedding either." She added, her menace stare not once dropping.

Gemma's fists ball up and before she can control herself her palm contacts with Lauren's cheek. A loud smack erupts the air and Gemma's poker face is still active.

Lauren winces. Her neck tilted slightly as she hold her cheek. The reddened skin looks harsh, and Gemma appreciated all the practice she had back in New York with muggers. Tears flow through the weak girls eyes. Gemma thinks it's pathetic, she didn't slap her that hard.

Gemma hears a large intake of air from Lauren. It's silent. A pin could be dropped, no, a feather could be dropped and you would be able to hear the dust hit the floor. Her lips part in anticipation. This feels weird. The calm before the storm, Gemma thinks.

Eyes filled with hate and ignorance attach to Gemma's.

"You bitch." Lauren exclaims and then her fists is flying and Gemma's jaw is aching.

"Ah, fuck!" Gemma shouts, not much control in her screams of pain. She palms her jaw, glaring at Lauren through her heavy eyelids.

She ignores the pain and all but pounces on Lauren, bringing her to the ground. She finds herself straddling the girl, holding her hands back, screaming meaningless curses at her face as spit carries down onto Lauren's face.

Lauren used her height to her advantage and swung her leg over Gemma's waist effectively turning them over. Now Lauren was on top of Gemma. Gemma grunted, struggling to get out of her hold but Lauren was too strong, holding her down with a mischievous smirk.

"I warned you." was the last thing she heard before various punches were strung to her face and neck.

Gemmas body ricocheted with pain but a new sensation filled her body. Guilt. This was her karma for outing Lauren. What goes around comes around. And here it is. It's coming around. So Gemma's body fell boneless in the impact of Lauren's fist. Giving up and allowing the hits.

It felt amazing. In a way, it was so much pain, that it felt like nothing. Numbing.

A door is opened, but not closed as yelling erupts. Footsteps near the two girls and Lauren is thrown off of Gemma. Lyles voice fills the air and seeing his face, hurt Gemma more than any of Lauren's punches.

"What the fuck?"