07.

SETTE

GEMMA WAS AMAZED at the bashing restaurant River had taken her to. Ihop has nothing on Casa Nostra. With the pleasing aroma and well defined sculptures it had to of been the most beautiful restaurant Gemma has ever dined at.

"Festa di due? (Party of two)" The lady at the front desk asked River and Gemma as they entered.

"Sì signora. (Yes ma'am)" River nodded in response. Soon after they were escorted to a table.

"Wow." Gemma said, with brightened eyes and the widest smile. She gazed around the place, taking in the paintings on the wall and the defined architect of the building itself. It was fascinating to the girl and she was so grateful to have been able to seen this herself.

"You like it?" River asked, as he looked through the menu.

"Are you kidding?" Gemma scoffed. "I love it."

He laughed.

Gemma began scanning the menu herself but seeing it was written in Italian, studied the pictures that matched the words.

"Uh River? I have no idea what any of this says." Gemma said quietly, embarrassed.

"I know, you dork. That's why I'm looking for you." River explained.

"Ah, so the mans going to order for the lady." She observed. "Uh huh." She shook her head.

He groaned. "Gemma please stop being a feminist for one second and let me order you a meal that I know, from experience, you'll like."

Gemma watched him intently for a moment before silently agreeing with a nod.

After River ordered for the both, Gemma asked him about his parents. Remembering him telling her about them on the plane, which felt so so long ago.

"They have reasons as to why they don't like Thomas." River told her.

"What, what happened?" She asked, becoming concerned.

He grinned. "It's nothing to normal sane people, but to my parents, it's defining."

Gemma rose her brow. "Okay...continue?"

He sucked in a breath, "Well, to be blunt, it's because he's white."

"Uh, excuse me?" Her eyes narrowed.

"Yep." He sighs, "My parents want us both to marry people of the Italian heritage. Same culture and all that."

Gemma felt sick thinking they could be so hard on their kids to marry certain people. Especially because of their race.

"God, thats rough." She groaned, rubbing her temples for a moment.

"I know. I don't listen to them though so don't stress. You have nothing to worry about." He told her, giving her a wink.

"Fuck you, jackass. I'm half latino!" She snarled at him, frowning.

He chuckled.

"So, may I ask what you ordered me?" She asked.

"Pizza."

Gemma shot River a bored expression. "Pizza? Pizza? Like one of the most popular foods in America. Why!? I wanted to try something new!" She pouted.

"Oh, chill. Trust me. This pizza is real. Unlike your American take on it, we actually make the pizza taste like it's supposed to."

"I'll be the judge of that."

..

"Oh. My. God." Gemma moaned, scraping up any last crumbs of the pizza River ordered her. He chuckled.

"Told you, you'd like it."

"I don't want to ever leave. This is Heaven." She whined.

"That's too bad, seeing it's almost six p.m. and this place is about to be crammed with loads of people. Drunk people." He informed while he signed the bill.

Gemma peered her eyes down at the check quickly.

"FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS!" Gemma basically yelled.

"Shhhh!" River hushed with a scowl. "it's no big deal, like you said I'm rich."

"Uh, yes. It is a big deal. What, was the pizza made of gold? Jesus." Gemma creased her forehead.

River grinned. "When you dine at nice restaurants, this is cheap. C'mon. Let's go." He helped Gemma put on her coat. Both of them suiting smiles.

- - - - - - - -

When they got back into Rivers car, Gemma unplugged her phone from her portable charger and was welcomed by five missed calls and three unseen messages.

"The hell..." She muttered under her breath as she read the name behind the messages and calls. Lyle.

"Something wrong?" River asked but Gemma was too wrapped up in her phone to reply.

U coming home soon?

Jesus. y'all been gone for like four hours.

how long is 'sight seeing' ???

Gemma shut her phone off and threw it on the dash, annoyed by Lyle and his rollercoaster of feelings. God, he could be so cold one moment and the next, he'd be welcoming and warm.

"Hey! This car is my baby! Please stop with the temper! Ya could scratch it!" River warned.

She rolled her eyes. Looking out the window with a lost look.

"Oh, its okay don't worry about it. Thanks for the apology." She heard River mock following a sigh.

When he realized she wasn't going to reply, he spoke, "You okay?" He asked softly.

Gemma paused to answer. Was she? She's healthy, has an amazing mother and brother, she has great friends, she gets fed everyday, has clothes to wear, and a bed to sleep on, as should be okay. She should be happy. But she's not. And for some reason that makes it all so much worse in Gemma's head. She hates how ungrateful she is.

"Ye-yeah." She replied with a shaky voice. " 'Course."

"Gemma.." River rose his eyebrows. "It's okay to not be okay."

She didn't take that lightly, she so badly wanted to speak. To cry. To show people she wasn't as happy as she seemed. Did she even seem happy?

"You don't have to say anything. I just need you to know, that it's okay to not be okay." And he whispered it like they weren't the only ones in the car. Like it was a secret. For an odd reason, she felt safe with River. All of a sudden it came to her that she trusts him. Why does she trust him? She barely even knows him.

Maybe she was just thankful that deep down he understood.