12.

DODICI

GEMMA FLORES HAS NEVER EATEN GELATO. River was shocked to find out, he even accused her of living under a rock, and then she made a reference to Patrick Star, he became confused by the name, and then she asked, "So who's living under a rock, now?"

...

"So..it's ice cream." Gemma concluded as she gazed at the dessert shop River took her to.

He sighed, almost like he was hurt by her words. "Gemma, ice cream is great, I'll admit, but, gelato, is ten times greater."

"Greater?" She questioned with a growing grin.

"Sorry, didn't realize you were grammar police. And is that seriously all you took from what I said?"

She nodded, but then shook her head. "Course not, your choice of words just bother me." She cringed.

He rolled his eyes, "Okay what kind do you want?"

"Uh is it weird I want moosetracks?" Gemma asked.

"Yes because that's not a flavor." He stated.

Gemma scoffed, crossing her arms. "This is stupid." She pouted.

"Aw, poor baby. Will you just trust me and try the damn gelato."

"Only if you agree it's the Italian ice-cream."

He observed her for a moment silently with an irritated glare before his face broke out into a goofy grin. "Okay okay. Fine. It's the Italian ice-cream."

Gemma chuckled, "Was it that hard? Okay, you pick for me." She suggested.

He nodded and walked closer to the counter. "Hi, can I get two of the Simply Stawberry Gelato?"

The lady behind the counter nodded, they exchanged a few more words before River payed and soon they got their cups.

..

They ended up sitting outside at the picnic tables the shop had. It was a nice day but it was still windy so Gemma's hair was blowing all over her face it was quite irritating and she kept having to push it back behind her ear but it really was no use.

"Here goes nothing." She muttered and took a bite of the cold dessert.

He watched her in awe.

"Holy damn. That is literally heaven. I love Italian food." She professed.

He laughed. "Oh, Gemma. You so badly misjudge my taste."

"I will never misjudge your taste again, trust me." She promised and he only smiled wider. He was still watching her and Gemma caught on. "Aren't you gonna eat yours?" She asked, gesturing to his cup of gelato.

"Oh, yeah." He nodded, looking down at his cup like he forgot it was there, like he forgot he where he even was. He was too focused, wrapped up, in the girl in front of him.

She smiled.

"Did you hear that I was offered a job?" She asked with endless happiness flooding her eyes.

"Wow, really?! That's incredible!" He boasted but it felt odd to Gemma. There was no shock or surprise in his eyes. It was like the news had already been known to him.

She nodded. "Yeah! It just gives me more reason to wanna be home." She groaned but still held happiness in her expression.

"You won't miss your parents? Or your brother?" River asked, brows furrowing.

She shrugged, "What kind of question is that? Of course I'll miss them..but I'm an adult and I love New York more than Florida." She admitted.

He only nodded in response. Biting his tongue.

"..I don't have a father either." She added so lowly, River almost didn't hear.

"Oh, sorry."

"It's fine. I barely knew him..but i've always wondered..." She trailed off, her eyes focused on her dessert.

He watched her for a moment, his eyebrows itched together, lips pursed. "To have a father?"

She nodded absently.

So did he, in more of an understanding way. "I've always wondered what having a dad was like."

Her eyes shot up to his. She furrows her brows at him curiosily, "But you have a dad."

He shrugs, taking the spoon into his mouth, sucking it and putting it back into his cup, "Nah, I have a father. Not a dad."

The confusion doesn't drop from her face though. She doesn't get it. No matter what he still had a father figure in his life, he still had more than Gemma, was he not enough for River.

"There's a difference, trust me." He winked, answering the question that swirled around in her head like he read her mind.