vii. a phone call

seven

seven. a phone call

"SO THIS IS HER." 

"She's pretty. Do you like pizza?" 

"I mean, she doesn't look like a nerd." 

"Hey, have you ever LARP-ed?" 

"Leo, are you sure Splinter's okay with-" 

The noise was making Florence's head pound. She sat at the island in their makeshift kitchen, her legs crossed while her elbows rested on the table and her forehead in her palm. 

The arm that was injected was burning again, but she tried not to show it. She was wracking her brain for an answer, but nothing seemed to pop up.

Why is it just me? 

"I've continued her mutagen doses..." 

Her heart dropped. 

Of course. Her father. 

He mentioned giving her mutagen already for a reason still unknown to Florence. Whether she was sick and needed it or she was just her father's lab rat, Florence wasn't sure if she wanted to know or not. 

It was starting to make sense. 

The reaction she got was different from Jerry's because she already had mutagen in her blood. It was hurting because her body was forcing itself to get accustomed to the massive dose that Florence gave herself.  

Florence's heart stopped for a few seconds when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up, her gaze softening when she saw that it was just Donnie. He smiled softly and pushed a small cup of tea towards her. 

She grasped it and thanked him softly. 

"It'll help with the headache. You hit your head pretty hard against the ground," he spoke quickly, but gently as if he was trying his best to talk to her quickly enough for him to finish and for her to rest. 

Florence gave a weak smile and nodded her head once as rest the black mug onto the counter and cupped it with both of her shaking hands. 

She didn't get the chance to speak before Mikey, the bright and hyper younger brother, sat across from her with a wide grin on his face. His freckles to creased and highlighted his face. 

"So," he sang when there was a moment of silence. "Are you a nerd like Donnie or just nerd like videogames?" 

Florence scrunched up her nose at the descriptions. She fiddled with the cup of tea and muttered, "Um, I accidentally made a bomb once with my dad."