Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

RE-EVALUATION

It seemed like the docs Julie was seeing were doing her some good. She was getting along nicely. She’d reduced her pain meds in half, was back to working full-time and was in great spirits. Her sales were up, the hospital bills were almost paid off and the best news, her parents hadn’t visited us since the accident. In fact, I was surprised she didn’t quiz me when I brought her home that day about why they were gone. I really didn’t want to cross that bridge, but I knew it was only a matter of time, just not right now.

The job in University Park was starting to wind down and my initial reports concerning the financial issues of the project were coming to light in a big way. The boys from Midland were called to Plano by the company’s financial guru. When I entered Wyder’s office, the looks on everyone’s faces let me know this wasn’t going to be a back-slapping meeting; there was going to be a hanging—MINE!

In his overdramatic style, laced with sexual innuendos, he was running off the numbers of the job. “As I see it, Bill and Bob, the job isn’t salvageable. I don’t know what Joe’s been telling you, but this job’s in the tank. My best estimate on the profit is a paltry $50,000 unlike the $200,000 Joe built into the job.”

That’s right asshole! The estimated $200,000 was in the bid until you cut it, or did you forget that? I kept my mouth closed, for the moment.

“I believe Joe hired the wrong people for the project. He should have done a better job screening the foreman and superintendants. Joe is a hard worker, but his lack of management skills is woeful.”

Say one more word you motherfucker and I’m going to come out of this chair and kick your goat-smelling-ass all over this office!

“I think you two should consider removing Joe and letting me bring in someone more capable.”

That’s fucking it! Bill and Bob were staring at me. “Joe, anything you’d like to say?”

“Damn right there is. I never falsified my numbers. I never misled you guys on how this job was going into the tank. If you’ll check your weekly job reports and e-mails, I pointed out the problems with the project since day one. The biggest problem was the actual bid. I told Mister Wyder the job couldn’t be built with profit for the adjusted price. He assured everyone in this room, not to worry. Well, his strategies might work on a commercial project where you shop for ‘blue light’ specials on every aisle. That’s not how it works on the civil side.” Wyder began laughing.

“I’m glad you think this is so fucking funny. I fail to see the humor.”

He couldn’t resist throwing in an ill-timed comment, “Yeah, and he told her he wouldn’t come in her mouth.”

“What the fuck does that have to do with anything?”

“Bill. Bob. This is what I’m talking about. He has no people skills. He doesn’t listen to me. It’s his way or the highway.”

“That’s bullshit! I’ve listened to everything you’ve said. When it applied to the job I listened, but most of the time your advice would have been better passed on to the flock of pigs flying over this office.”

Bob had enough. “Joe, can you salvage the project?”

“In regards to stopping the bleeding, or turning a profit?”

“Both.”

“No. I can’t stop the bleeding and this job is never going to see black. As I’ve stated before, the bid was too cheap. We were in trouble before we signed the contract, but Mr. Know-it-all, told you two not to worry. And this is where we are today.”