Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

INTERLUDE

Life trudged on with its normal routine. Joe and I went to work, came home, at least I did, helped the kids with homework, cooked dinner then went to bed, usually alone. Joe kept telling me he was working late. Yeah, right. That wasn’t my perfume he was wearing when he crawled in bed half lit.

I spent a lot of time at my parent’s house when I didn’t have a full slate for the day. Mom and dad were adamant Joe was the biggest mistake in my life. I could have done so much better if I’d listened to them and married William. He was the Mayor of Fairfax, ran five hundred head of cattle on ten thousand acres and they liked him. Sometimes, I did question my motives for marrying Joe. When I came up pregnant, Joe was all for the marriage. He promised me he was marrying me because he loved me, not because I was pregnant. I believed him at the time and even today, I still believe it. But, life never panned out for him. I remember when he introduced me to one of his classmates, Kirk, at his ten year reunion. I listened to them recount their lives to date. When Joe finished telling Kirk of his trials and tribulations, Kirk, took a swig of his drink, then cleared his throat, “Joe, if you didn’t have any bad luck, you’d have no luck at all.” Kirk was right. It didn’t matter how hard Joe worked, he could never seem to get over the proverbial hump. Yet, I still loved him.

Mom interrupted my thoughts. “Julie, you just need to dump the bum. He’s never going to amount to anything. You’ve wasted enough time trying to make the marriage work. What type of man can’t hold a job and then spends his hours doing, Lord knows what? Archie, help me out here.”

“Honey, I think your mothers right. Joe’s kind of grown on me, but I just don’t see him making a mark in this life. In fact, I was talking to William the other day and he’s planning on coming down for a visit. I think it’d be a good idea if you met with him, for old time’s sake.”

I couldn’t take it any longer. It didn’t matter if I was questioning our relationship. He was still the father to our children. But for my parents to constantly point out his flaws and berate me for marrying him, was unacceptable. “Mom, Dad, do me a favor.”

“What’s that, honey?”

“Drop it. I know he isn’t perfect. I know he’s not the most successful man I could have married, but deep down, he’s still a good man. Until recently, I couldn’t have asked for a more loving father and husband. He never complains no matter what hand he’s been dealt. He gets up, goes to work and seldom complains, unlike you two. I’m not throwing in the towel yet. I’m sure he’ll turn things around. He just needs more time.”

“How much more time, honey. How much more time are you going to waste?” asked mom.

That was it. She was doing what she’d always done while I was growing up, questioning my decisions. “Until I say it’s over!” I stormed out of the house. I could hear them call out as I exited their house. “What should I tell, William ?”

“Whatever you want!” and slammed their front door.

* * *

“Mother Fucker, Ron. Tell me you’re lying? Tell me you didn’t pour an entire street two inches short!”

“Joe, I don’t know what to say.”

“Damn right you don’t know what to say. Look at the fucking plans. It’s right there. The bid item says, eight fucking inches, not six.” I flipped a few pages back. “Look right here, you idiot. Do you see the cross section for the street?”