Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

MERCY HOSPITAL

I sat waiting in the emergency room. The only information the bitch, head nurse would provide is, “your wife is in serious condition but stable.” What the hell does that mean? Serious but stable? What a bunch of shit! I sat, walked, stirred and fidgeted for over five hours, trying to recount how my life became so fucked up, before one of the men in white walked out of the double doors.

“Mr. Robertson?”

“Yes?”

“My name is, Doctor Anderson. I’m happy to say, your wife will live. She lost a lot of blood and sustained serious injuries in the accident.” He proceeded to give me his gruesome grocery list: ruptured spleen, perforated bowel, damaged kidney, multiple cuts and abrasions, and three ruptured discs. “My team and I were able to repair most of the damage. The cuts were superficial and stitched-up. At this time, we weren’t able to repair the ruptured discs in her back. She’s in no immediate danger, but I suggest you see Dr. Camry when she starts feeling better.”

“So, she’s going to have a full recovery?”

“I don’t see why not. She’s going to be sore and irritable for a couple of weeks as her body heals, but there’s no reason she won’t be back to her normal routine in three months.”

“Three months?”

“Yes, Mr. Robertson. Three months. She almost died in the accident. If the selector knob would have moved to the right two centimeters, her spinal cord would have been severed. She’s a very lucky woman.”

“Thank you, doctor. When will she be discharged?”

“When I’m convinced she’s ready to travel.”

“When will that be?”

“Excuse me, sir. I don’t think you’re fully comprehending what I’m saying.”

“Doctor, I’ve heard every fucking word you’ve said. How are we supposed to live with her lying on her back? I haven’t worked in six months. She is the sole provider these days since I lost my last job, okay. So, if I seem a bit callous, I have my reasons. Now, what’s this about  back surgery?”

“She has three ruptured discs, which over time could crack and become dislodged. If that happens, the spinal cord and surrounding nerves could be in jeopardy of severe damage. It’s unlikely, but in rare cases, the ruptured discs could fracture, penetrating the spinal cord, resulting in permanent paralysis.”

“You said rare cases.”

“Yes.”

“Doctorthat’s all I need to know. You’re dismissed. Oh, when can I see her?”

“When I say you can.”

* * *

No matter how hard I tried, my life never followed the path I wanted. When we were in college, life stood perfect for a moment. Julie, the typical cheerleader and I, the starting quarterback for Oklahoma State. My life was mapped out. I led the country in pass attempts, completed passes, passing yards, and passing touchdowns. I ranked second in rushing attempts to Greg Sampson of Stanford. Sports Illustrated and ESPN were laying bets on who would be the first round draft pick of 2010. For the first time, the media was clamoring for a shared Heisman Trophy winner. Both of us were the cream of the crop and to pick one over the other seemed an impossibility. Top agents were vying for the rights to sign us. Our faces were plastered across the country as the College Championship game approached. The media claimed again, it would be the game of the century; the third claim in eight years.