Ch. 2 - The box

Seulgi's POV

Call me obsessed if you wish, I'll wear the label if you choose to hang it on me. But I can't stop thinking about her. Like a ghost, she constantly haunts my thoughts. That mysterious woman from 1869. A young beautiful thing that makes my damaged heart move every time I see her. Today as I leave my flat and head to school on a rather foggy morning, I think about her. From the old church that's across from my flat, to the point where I sit down in class I still think of her.

I want to know her more. Half way through my costume design class it hits me. The old guy at the antique store said there was more stuff from this Tuan estate. Perhaps there was something more that belonged to this Joohyun. As soon as classes were done for the day, I headed straight back to the antique store.

Entering the store, I found the older gentleman waiting behind the counter with a friendly smile.

"Hello, may I help you?"

"Ah... yes. I was here more than a week ago. I bought an old picture from the Tuan estate. You said it has some stuff that had been forgotten in the basement." I asked letting some of my eagerness show.

He thought for a moment and then seemed to remember. "Oh Yes. That picture of the pretty young woman. I remember now. You don't want to return it don't you? All sales are final, I'm afraid."

I shook my head, "No... actually, I'm interested in seeing what else you may have."

The man tapped his fingers on the counter for a moment as he appeared to think. "Hmm... Let me see. I sold most of that stuff just the other day to some collector. Some old candlesticks, an end table... Oh—! I do have something left. Follow me."

As I followed the man I asked, "What do you know about the estate itself?"

"The Tuan family was once quite prosperous. One of them was even a member of parliament for a time, ages ago. But over the last century or so, their fortunes declined. Some scandal there was, some time back. Uhm... one of the main heir's, a rather promising young fellow I hear, was killed at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. The family gradually died off and the last of them passed away in the 1980's. The estate was completely bankrupt by then. The old house, sat unoccupied for years as it all wound through the courts. The land was sold off to pay off the debts to some developer who as I said, knocked it down and is currently putting a supermarket in its place." He recalled as he rummaged around in a dark corner.

"Ahh... here it is." He said as he pulled out a small wooden chest.

It was plain, appearing to be made of maple and appeared to be about 2 feet by 2 feet and about a foot high. "This is the last piece. A small wooden chest."

"What's in it?"

He shrugged, "Haven't the foggiest idea. It's locked and no key was found."

I had no idea what was in it, but I had to know if something of Joohyun's was in there. "How much?"

He put his hand to his chin, "40 pounds."

I cursed silently as I only had 31. "I have 31, how about that?" I said as I put my hand on his shoulder. Just a casual touch works wonders sometimes.

It must have worked as he nodded. "Ok, 31 pounds it is."

I reached over and picked up the chest. It had something inside as it had some weight. But I was able to carry it. After paying the man I happily heaved my bounty home. I could only thank my lucky stars that he accepted my offer. I half expected to have to leave and scrape together some more money.