Ch. 11 - Roughing it

Seulgi's POV

"Right this way, Seulgi." Irene said as she led me through the inn.

I followed her to the far right corner, near one end of the bar where there was a door. I followed her through the door to a small hallway. To the left was a kitchen to the right was a door which she knocked on.

"Yes?" Said a stern voice from within.

"Father, it's me Irene, may I enter?"

"Yes come in."

Irene opened the door and I followed her in. The room was a small office. In the center sat a large wooden desk cluttered with papers of all sorts. Behind him was some shelves with various books. The office had other things, paintings, a sword hanging on the wall, but I didn't pay much attention to that.

Instead I focused on Irene's father, he appeared to be a man in his late 40's-early 50's, with greying hair and piercing blue-green eyes. Upon me walking in, he immediately eyed me with a strange look.

"Father, This is Seulgi Kang. A Korean-American, from Los Angeles, in California. She is traveling, seeing England and heard that Cecilia resign. She is looking for a job."

For a moment his eyes narrowed, "Come forth please." He said, "A most unusual manner of dress. If you don't mind me saying so."

I guessed that may be one of his comments, "I have been traveling so I wear clothes that can take some wear and tear. That and dressed as a man, I tend to get bothered less. The coat, hat and boots were my late father's."

"He served in your recent Civil war? I'm a military man myself, retired of course."

I could tell he was once an army officer. His bearing was stern and serious and he sat up straight. His eyes, never diverting from me.

"Yes, my father Junmyeon Kang did serve in the civil war. We had moved west to California in 1858. When the war broke, my father returned to his native Michigan and signed up for the 5th, Michigan Cavalry, Company E. Serving from 1862 to 1865 and rising to the rank of sergeant. He fought in numerous battles, including Gettysburg."

My father is Junmyeon Kang and he was born in Michigan, that much of it is true— but he relocated back in Seoul which was his ancestors country, raised a family and decided to finally settle in Los Angeles. While he obviously didn't serve in the civil war, his Great Great Grandfather did serve in that very regiment. In reality, my father is an executive at an insurance company.

He looked mildly impressed and seemed to think for a moment before nodding, "I see, you are traveling and seeing England."

"Yes. My father died about a year ago. Since then my mother sold the family business, for a good sum of money. We sold horses. I've always wanted to see some of the world. My father had a huge library in our home; I've read about all these places in the world and thought I might go see some."

"What did your mother think of your little trip?"

"Actually she was fine with it. Her family is originally from South Korea and has some distant relatives there. I promised I would visit them before I returned. Her father raised her to be very independent and thus she did as me."

He took it all in without changing his expression, "You mentioned you read in your father's library. You are literate I take?"

I couldn't help but smirk at this point, "Yes Sir, In both English and in Spanish. Though I'm more familiar with the Mexican dialect— Korean also. My father got me the best education that was available."