Chapter 3

Nettlestar stood on the highrock to announce the latest clan news.
"This afternoon, two healthy kits were born into LightClan, they're names are Archkit and Smokekit. Congratulations to Whiteblaze and Branchfall!" Cheers from the clan filled the warm air and the sense of happiness radiated from the cats within it. Pinekit was so excited because, he knew what was coming. They were 6 moons old, they were being apprenticed.
"I have one more announcement to make." Pinekit felt his excitement brimming at Nettlestar stepped down from the highrock, "Pinekit, Birdkit and Firekit can you please come forward." Quickfox gave Birdkit one more lick between the ears to unfuzz, before they all bounced toward their leader. "Pinekit, from this day forward you will be known as Pinepaw, your mentor will be Eaglefeather." The brown and white tom stepped out from where he sat beside Ambercloud to touch noses with his new apprentice. Pinepaw felt dubious of his new mentor, although, the former BirdClan warrior had always been a loyal LightClan member despite his birth clan, he touched noses, still ecstatic.
"Birdkit, from this moment on you will be known as Birdpaw, your mentor will be Lionfur," Pinepaw watched with pride as his sister then turned to the sandy furred Tom and touched noses. She stepped back to stand beside him, they watched their brother stand nervously in front of Nettlestar, waiting for his turn.
"Firekit," the warmth in her voice seemed to calm Firekit somewhat,"from this moment on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Firepaw. I will mentor you." Pinepaw felt immediately envious, but snapping himself out of it the pride for his brother filled him. Birdpaw had happiness and pride shining in her eyes as she watched Firepaw greet his new mentor with a respectful lick of her shoulder and in return she touched her nose to his flame ginger shoulder. Firepaw stepped back to his siblings, disbelief and pride radiating from him, the clan leader was his mentor! But, Pinepaw sensed another emotion. Disappointment? But Firepaw had the best mentor there was! Why was he upset? He decided to ask him later but for now they were newly made apprentices.
"Now, I would like mentors to take their apprentices out for a training session and for the new apprentices a show of the territory, Lionfur and Eaglefeather will you come?" The two warriors nodded, gesturing for their apprentices to follow.
Pinepaw was so excited he had to stop himself from jumping up and down like a kit, he was an apprentice about to see the whole territory for the first time.
He could tell his siblings felt the same, he caught a glance from his mother, she was standing with their father, Lighteningstreak, pride glistening in there eyes. He waved his tail at them before bounding out of camp after the others, Birdpaw at one side and Firepaw at his other, their mentors in front he felt a rush of happiness.
"This way, we'll visit the training ground first." Lionfur said looking to Nettlestar for approval, she gave him a nod and they changed direction, slowing down a bit, noticing the three apprentices lagging behind. Pinepaw leaped over a fallen branch giggling when Firepaw mentioned Branchfall's name.
"Birdpaw, why don't we head off to the lookout ledge after the training ground?" Lionfur asked his apprentice.
"Sure!" Birdpaw replied, panting somewhat considering the run.
"We're nearly there, it's not far from camp in case we need to alert training apprentices and their mentors of an invasion." Eaglefeather commented, suddenly Nettlestar changed direction Eaglefeather and Lionfur followed and Pinepaw nearly slid into the brambles to the side of a narrow path in the grass. They went on for a bit then stopped when they came to a clearing, sheltered by bushes and trees, "this is the training clearing. Where we train you in battle skills and hunting crouches." Nettlestar informed the three of them.
"Cool! When do we get to start training?" Pinepaw asked, he had been waiting for the chance to show off a few moves Rockpaw had taught him.
"Not until you have been an apprentice for a half-moon." Lionfur answered, Pinepaw's heart sank and he silently vowed to practise before that.
"But don't worry, you get to learn how to hunt very soon." Eaglefeather reassured them. He felt better after that.
"Birdpaw, let's go." Lionfur said, turning to exit the clearing.
"Bye! I'll see you back at camp!" She said to her siblings, before turning to chase after her mentor and disappeared behind the foliage. Nettlestar turned to Eaglefeather, "I want to show Firepaw the borders, do you want to come or would you like to show Pinepaw a different part of the territory?"
"No you go ahead, I'd like to see what Pinepaw knows." Eaglefeather answered giving his apprentice a reassuring smile. Nettlestar nodded and Firepaw commented, "have fun!" And he spun around and trotted happily after his mentor.
Once they had gone around the bushes, Eaglefeather turned to him. "So, do you want to show me the hunting crouch?" He asked. Pinepaw crouched, making sure he was low to the ground and, keeping his legs poised and eyes focused, just like his mother had shown them when they were young.
Eaglefeather padded a circle around him then pushed his up-right tail closer to the forest floor, but not touching it. "Good, but you need to keep an eye on that tail, you would basically be waving a branch at your prey." He said, a hint of amusement in his tone. He pushed a twig to a point about two tail lengths away from Pinepaw and said, "try pouncing."
So, bunching his muscles, he wagged his haunches and pounced. Just missing the twig.
"You are a little too enthusiastic, don't wag your haunches too much or it'll throw off your aim. And try stalking a little closer so it's not such a long distance." Eaglefeather suggested, then added. "Again!"