Chapter Four: Someone's Protective Hold

AU: Chapter is scheduled for revision.

"Teresa, what are you doing?!" Minho shouts as the girl leans against a strange glass structure that seems to be mostly buried beneath the sand, examining it as she walks alongside it.

She slides to a stop in the sand, leaning inside the structure where the glass has been broken. "There's an opening here!" She calls before leaping inside.

"Teresa, wait!" Thomas shouts, running after her.

I furrow my brows, exchanging worried looks with the others before following behind. As I enter the shelter, I end up slipping and sliding down a steep hill of sand, yelping in shock. The sand glides up my pant legs as I make my way down the dune, and the collar of my shirt falls from my face. Fortunately, the winds have ceased inside of the shelter.

"Woohoo!" Minho exclaims, swiftly sliding down the slope past me with his hands in the air as Frypan closely follows, laughing. How they manage to find amusement in a time like this both baffles and eases me.

Once I reach the bottom, I stumble onto my feet, hardly managing to keep my balance just as Winston and Newt begin to slide down the hill as well. Shaking my pant legs clear of the dirt, I look around the silent room that is dimly lit by the moonlight, streaming in through the broken glass above us. Although the faint beams reflected by the surface of the moon provide a hint of light, it is not enough for me to make out our surroundings.

Minho suddenly pulls out a flashlight, turning it on and looking around.

Furrowing my brows together, I ask, "Where'd you get that?"

"Just when we broke away from Janson, there was a pack with some supplies," he explains. "Got it off some guard who was out cold."

Winston nods. "I also got ahold of a gun, for safety measures," he adds.

I hope we won't have to use it. My stomach twists at the thought, though I nod quietly, looking around at the others as we circle up. Huddled together, I can make out the faces of the group members due to the bright beam of Minho's flashlight.

Newt puts his hands on his hips, taking a deep breath as we all collect ourselves after the breakout. "So what's the plan?" He asks Thomas, already proceeding to the next step of our escape.

I look to Thomas, who doesn't respond. His silence makes it even more of a challenge for me to catch my breath.

Newt narrows his eyes in suspicion. "You do have a plan, right?"

"Yeah," Thomas replies almost convincingly. "Yeah, I do..."

By the tone of his voice, it is evident that Thomas does not have a plan. My face falls as I return my eyes to Newt, who stares at Thomas with rising irritation. "You mean to tell me that we followed you out here, and we have no idea where we are or what we're doing?"

Aris, staring ahead in thought, chimes in before Thomas can defend himself, "Janson had said something about a rebellion group."

Distorting my face in confusion, I ask, "When did you hear Janson say something about that?"

He averts his pale irises to mine. "When we had discovered where they were harvesting all of those people, he suddenly showed up to make a private call with someone." He pauses, pursing his lips together for a moment, as if he is afraid to say whatever he intends to. "He was calling the woman who had supposedly shot herself in the video. The one that we watched after we escaped the Maze."

I shudder, recollecting the scene he is describing.

"Well, it only makes sense that they'd lie about that, too," Minho mutters, clearly frustrated. "They were lying about everything else, might as well go all the way and fake a shucking suicide. Insensitive shucking..." his voice trails off, too angered to waste anymore breath on the corrupt scientists.